Hey Ho From Winnipeg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cram8

Junior
Reaction score
I’m new to wine making and welcome any advice. I have fruit trees with more fruit than I know what to do with, like to drink wine, and am a bit of a technical geek (aka engineer) so I figure I may as well learn to make wine and have some fun experimenting (and drinking it!).

I grow apples, sour cherries, grapes, rhubarb so I welcome any suggestions.

Welcome to wine making talk, , , ,
from an rhubarb, apple, cherry and grape grower, , , plus gooseberry, aronia, cornelian cherry, raspberry, ,,, and even dandelions

where to start? I work from what is in the freezer, to the extent I can fruit gets juiced after thawing. I started with web recipes as EC Krause/ pulling five out and averaging them then adding pH targets under 3.5. After a really acidic mulberry I started TA as a target.

I try a natural style with lots of fruit which means that finished wines balance at high sugar.

Have you been using tannic apples? I am putting crabs in lots of wines as rhubarb. Again welcome.

I’m new to wine making and welcome any advice. I have fruit trees with more fruit than I know what to do with, like to drink wine, and am a bit of a technical geek (aka engineer) so I figure I may as well learn to make wine and have some fun experimenting (and drinking it!).

Nice selection of fruit. Hmmm, I'll probably be dreaming of recipes to use some of those, I've made apple wines but sour cherry sounds like fun!

Welcome to WMT.

i suggest you send me those sour cherries,,, lol
i had to try,,,,
Dawg

Welcome to WMT!

I suggest you go to MoreWine! site and download their red and white winemaking manuals, and part way down the page is one for making wine from frozen fruit.

https://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals
Do not read the manuals intently! You'll go blind! Do skim them and try to absorb the general flow.

Also, I've written a couple of posts recently, describing a basic generic method for making wine, and an even more basic method that uses household items for making wine from commercial juice. These are on the other end of the scale from the MoreWine! manuals, intended to provide a simple path through the process. They don't answer all questions and skip many advanced topics that confuse beginners. Note: There are other processes that work just fine -- these are the ones I wrote.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/making-quick-wine-from-commercial-juice/

Welcome! Rhubarb is a great wine "fruit". It blends wonderfully with strawberry I'm not wild about apple but hard cider is a favorite of mine.. Do use winemaker81's website as a resource.

Welcome from another Winnipeger. Nice choice of fruits you have. i do fair amount og fruit wines as well. good luck on your way into the hobby.

Latest posts

Back