Heron Bay Heron Bay vs anything else

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirtualGus

Junior
Reaction score
Have tried this question in other forums, but many people either seem reluctant to offend, or, faithful to one brand only, anyway...

How does HB 16l kits compare against say:
Cellar Craft Prestige/Stirling kits (12l incl grape packs)
RJS Cellar Classic (16l)
Wineexpert World Vineyard etc (10l)

These seem to be my only choices here in NZ at the mo. (Don't want to use smaller kits than this) I've had a good run with the Prestige kits but there is a sameness about them. The RJS Classic kits have shown promise, but availability has dried up around here, the WineExpert kits are nice but thin.

As for HB, I've only tried the Aus Shiraz and Sav Blanc myself.
The Sav came out all alcohol and wet grass (still is a year later - destined for the sink when I need the bottles/space back) The Shiraz is only 6 months old but still seems pretty rough, all tanin.

So I want to try another red, but am not happy with the current success rate.
At 180-200 NZ Peso's a try - can someone talk me into it?

(It's that, or loading up a WE Trinity Red with raisins and oak...)

Hi Gus and welcome to the forum,

I quite like the heron bay kits myself.. but pick up the limited edition versions.. I had a carmenere cab sav last year that was fantastic.. ( though all gone now, should really have kept some .. )

Are you buying the ultra premium kits?

Have a look at hauraki homebrews site in aucks to see if they have anything different in stock.

http://www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz/index.php?cPath=185_94

Allie

Heron Bay

I've been making wine for about 5-6 years and always look to HB when deciding on next project. Never had anything turn out less than wonderful. I've done merlot, cab franc, pinot grigio, chardonnay etc. Currently preparing to bottle pinot noir, have grigio and chardonnay cellared along with 2-3 other varietals