Here we go!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a side question

I am wondering why you waited so long to do a batch. You became a member in july and did not start a batch until december?

Do not feel overwelmed about winemaking. do not worry. You WILL have failures and you WILL end up dumping wine down the sink. It is all part of the learning process.

You also WILL have successes that far outweigh the failures.

Jump in, go for broke, no guts - no glory!

I am wondering why you waited so long to do a batch. You became a member in july and did not start a batch until december?

Do not feel overwelmed about winemaking. do not worry. You WILL have failures and you WILL end up dumping wine down the sink. It is all part of the learning process.

You also WILL have successes that far outweigh the failures.

Jump in, go for broke, no guts - no glory!

We waited this long as to learn a few things first plus we had some vacations we were taking and didn't want the wine to need our attention while we were away.

I don't feel overwhelmed at all. As a matter of fact we're thinking about starting another batch real soon.

We waited this long as to learn a few things first plus we had some vacations we were taking and didn't want the wine to need our attention while we were away.

I don't feel overwhelmed at all. As a matter of fact we're thinking about starting another batch real soon.

Fantastic! How is you first batch doing?

Fantastic! How is you first batch doing?

It seems to be fine although it's just sitting there with the airlock on it. The bottom looks like it has about an inch of sediment on it. Kinda making me thirsty right now thinking about it even though i'm at work. :>

How long should I wait to test the gravity again since it wasn't ready yesterday? The weekend maybe?

I always test the gravity about the time I get super thirsty. Sip-swill and be happy!

In time you will know how long. For myself once my wines hit below 1.000 I stir my wines good and immediately snap on a lid w/airlock. 2 days later mine are done and ready to rack. I could even wait another day if I need to.

The stirring brings up CO2 to protect he wine and I snap on the lid to help keep it there. That is a little over kill but I can't always get to my wines right away. Busy days occasionally.

Check your gravity each day. When it hasn't moved for 2-3 days you may rack. Do ot stir the last day. You will want to leave that sediment behind.

Hope this helps.

Well we hit .995 for two days in a row so we got to add the goodies. Now we wait until about the 10th to start racking.
Note to self: Invest in a stirring paddle for the battery drill. UGGG!!!!! What was stated stir vigorously for two minutes or until the foam disappears turned into about an hour. Vicki and I tagged teamed it until we stirred our arms off. Fortunately we made it to no foam.

The drill mounted stirrers work much better and then a vacuum pump is the best!

Thanks for the advice. We're going to see about racking on the 10th.

Quick question ............... or two!

1. Since I don't have a second carboy right now and the wine will be ready to rack on Monday is it okay to move it to the mixing bucket, (after I sanitize it) then back to the glass carboy?

2. This is a 6.5 gal kit and when can I sweeten it if it doesn't seem sweet enough and how much do I add?

Yes you can put it back in the primary but this is not recommended due to oxidation. If it is all you have then you don't have a choice. I would get it back into your carboy and under air lock ASAP though. I am assuming your wine is dry? If so and you have confirmed this by numerous SG readings over a few days then you can add Sorbate and K-meta to stabilize, once it is stabilized, give it about 24+ hours then add F-pack and back sweeten

You can also check with your local bottled water companies to see if they have any carboys for sell

I made a extra drill mounted stirrer out of a plastic coat hanger. Dipping the end in boiling water to soften it up and mold it into shape. Works good!

Yes you can put it back in the primary but this is not recommended due to oxidation. If it is all you have then you don't have a choice. I would get it back into your carboy and under air lock ASAP though. I am assuming your wine is dry? If so and you have confirmed this by numerous SG readings over a few days then you can add Sorbate and K-meta to stabilize, once it is stabilized, give it about 24+ hours then add F-pack and back sweeten
It is not dry and we are past that stage. It should be sweet and I guess we will find out Monday after work. We'll have a taste test when we rack it.
We went to the supply house today and bought a second carboy so we'll rack it to it.
You can also check with your local bottled water companies to see if they have any carboys for sell
That's a good idea, thanks!
I made a extra drill mounted stirrer out of a plastic coat hanger. Dipping the end in boiling water to soften it up and mold it into shape. Works good!

I own and operate a metal shop so I have this one covered.

#3 question is do I need to add anything additional beside the kit ingredients to preserve it long term?

We bottled this on Saturday and took two to a cookout next door with the neighbors and some friends. I will say it turned out great and was a big hit with everyone. For my first batch from start to finish I and turning out the way it did I feel pretty good about it.

Glad you had a good result, If you can be patient and not touch it for a couple months it will be even better. There's a thing called bottle shock which will occur with your wine over the next few weeks. It will make your wine taste more disjointed and less smooth. I learned this the hard way. I Made a cheap Chennin Blanc kit and slammed all the bottles in the first 40 days, thinking they were good immediatly after bottling. I kept one around for an extra 4 months. Cracked it the other day and it was light years better..... Really made me annoyed that I had drank the rest when it wasn't at it's best.

Latest posts

Back