here now! always looking for help~

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I was searching the web looking for any info I could find on making HOME MADE wine... I am making wine from kits but want to "upgrade" to making wine batches from scratch. I accidently came across this site & an hoping for some help!!

This is the place to be. I am new here also but have read almost all the threads. The answers are here. By hovering your mouse over the "questions" I'tll give you the begining of the contents. This is an excellent place to start. There a lots of scratch recipes in the forumn beneath introductions. Best of luck. Excellent web site here, I am sure you will enjoy successes with the info/advice learned here.

Welcome.

What kits have you made?

What wines do you want to make?

Steve

I make mainly sweet wines & some semi-sweet wines... I do not like dry!
I was reading about a Welch's wine recipe but I am confused how to know how to make the wine [from scratch] sweet??
Hope you understand what I mean?

The easiest way to make a wine sweet is to ferment to dry, stabilize (sulfite & sorbate), and sweeten.

Please be specific about which kits you have made, perhaps we can draw parallels to the kits.

Steve

I have made mainly fruit wines , like blackberry, peach/apricot , wildberry.. When buying wine a favorite is Reunite lambrusco wine. I hope this helps.
You mention sweeten??? Add more sugar? Or is there something you buy to sweeten?? Here is where I am lost!
Thanks for your help!!

I have made mainly fruit wines , like blackberry, peach/apricot , wildberry.. When buying wine a favorite is Reunite lambrusco wine. I hope this helps.
You mention sweeten??? Add more sugar? Or is there something you buy to sweeten?? Here is where I am lost!
Thnaks for your help~

the wines I have made was mainly fruit kinds.. blackberry, peach/apricot, wildberry ect.

yes.. [well it was Inland Mist brand]
I am still confused about this sweetening at the end? Is this something you buy at the wine/beer making place?

OK now that I know what you are used to....

The Island Mist wines have you add a pouch of flavouring & sweetening (liquid invert sugar usually) to add after the sulfite & sorbate is added.

So when making a wine from scratch you need to 'simulate' this flavour pouch. So as I said ferment to dry, and stabilize (both sulphite & sorbate). Then we have to decide how to sweeten. Choices include...

1. Add more Welches concentrate.
2. Add sugar
3. Add liquid invert sugar (if available)
4. Make your own wine conditioner.
5. My favourite...go to your favourite wine making store and buy Commercial Wine Conditioner. I know that it will say that sorbate is included in the conditioner, but if you don't use 15-20 ml per litre of the conditioner, you need to add the additional sorbate.

Steve

Thank you very much for your info!!!!! I am so glad that you more experience wine makers are here to help us beginners... I bet alot will agree with me..
Sure am glad I found this site!!!!~

Latest posts

Back