WineXpert Here is the Story, (cloudy wine)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeufeldMB

Junior
Reaction score
So i'm a first time wine maker, by a kit, and i figured all is well following the instructions (had Jenice, my wife, help me read it all), and then it is time to bottle and the wine is cloudy a bit. No problem, but it didn't clear after the additional week of waiting, so i bottled it.
Then decided that was a bad idea, so after a week in the bottle i uncorked the still cloudy wine and added it all to a freshly sanitized carboy. To no surprise it was still cloudy, but now it picked up a greenish tint. So being it was down now a couple of litres ( bottling and then repouring) I needed to add something to it. thinking water may not be the best in this instance and the wine was a green apple variety, i added a litre of apple juice (pressed from the tree in the back) and one of water and two Campdon tablets (unsure of what was in the juice). Now my question is should i even let this play out or chuck it???

17160901_10158435279720220_1380772459_n.jpg

Did you use the supplied clearing agent by the company? If so, at what temp was the wine when added? Did you degas and get rid of most of the co2? The temp/co2 will most likely be the culprit.

Last edited:
I did add the clearing agent supplied, it would've been 74 degrees, and degassed with a drill and whip before adding the agent, i have it at 70 degree now and will wait.

Sounds like everything was done correctly. Usually the wine will clear pretty quickly. I would give it some time. No need to chuck it. It will eventually clear on its own.

magic trick here....get an old tee shirt and slip it over that carboy. Leave it there for three months....NO PEEKING! Say some magic words and remove the tee shirt.....the wine will be clear....MAGIC!

It's partly the dark, partly the static electricity charge from the tee shirt, and mostly from 3 months of time and gravity.

just back slowly away from the carboy and keepa u hans off!!

first never bottle a cloudy wine. second I think your problem is a pectic haze. some from the green apple in kit some from what you added. add pectic enzyme and wait patiently. doesn't work at Super Klear.

I had the same issue with my first kit, I ended up picking up a superkleer kit and doing a dozen vacuumed transfers to finally degas the thing properly. I wouldn't add anything to it unless you are topping up with a similar wine (my personal opinion) but try a better clearing agent after being sure you have really degased it. I did a lot of reading about degasing before I broke down and bought an AIO vacuum pump which not only fixed things for me but also saved me a lot of time and headache. After I was finally degased, I added superkleer and some kmeta and let the thing sit for about a month before I finally bottled it. I went straight to vacuum degassing for my second kit and instead of bottling per the kit instructions I gave it an extra week or two to clear at lower temps and then let it age in the carbon before going to bottle. These kits seem to be all be slightly different in how they go for me so but that's been my experience so far doing nothing but kits from winexpert but hopefully you find something helpful from it.

@Salcoco knows what he is talking about. Get the pectic enzyme. Standard dose is in the range of 1t/gallon, but strengths vary so check your instructions. Some sources say to double the recommended dose when using post-fermentation. You don't really need to worry too much about overdosing and if it is not pectin haze you haven't really done any harm to your wine.

cloudy wine

Try this ?

Cloudy Wine

The wine was perfectly clear when it went into bottle. After about a month in the bottle, it noticed that there was sediment. After more time, there was more sediment. Even after I filtered. So what to do?
I placed the wine into a gallon jug and 3 gal carboy and placed them in the bottom of my wine refrigerator. I left them cold soak for a month. (This is the term you use when you are aiming to clear a wine by dropping its temperature). This then precipated to fall out into sediment at the bottom of the vessels.
We now removed them from the refrigerator, made sure airlocks were on and we are going to allow them to come up to room temp. Once they reach room temp. we are going to re-rack them into the bottles which h I saved w/ the labels intact so that there was no loss there.
Cloudy wine can also be a direct derivative of high pectin content in a wine, especially the northern grape varieties. That’s why even the best of us can’t rush a product through.

Cloudy wine (1).jpg

THE FINISH.jpg

Added some pectin enzymes, hope that does it. I'll pick up Super Kleer next time in the wine store and then rack and degass and clear. and Pray it works out. thanks for the info.

I placed the wine into a gallon jug and 3 gal carboy and placed them in the bottom of my wine refrigerator. I left them cold soak for a month. (This is the term you use when you are aiming to clear a wine by dropping its temperature).
Actually, "cold soak" is a term used to describe the part of extended maceration that precedes adding yeast at the beginning of winemaking. "Cold stabilization" is what you are referring to.

That's correct ,on the other hand it's sitting in a cold refrigerator absorbing the cold and dropping out the solids as well as masoration a two for.

It actually service to preposterous, 1masertion,2 cold to drop out the solidsin the wine a two four.

Latest posts

Back