Helping a new winemaker - Cab Franc Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been visiting my neighbor and tasted the wine the other week. It's tasting nice. He has stayed up on the topping and additions. He doesn't have anything to blend with, so I think it is going to be a standalone, unless I want to donate some of my bottled Petit Verdot / Petite Sirah. I've been encouraging him to get his equipment, so he will be independent of my gear, so I have been giving him links to the items I would get. I created the below drawing to give him an idea on how I go about bottling a barrel. He will have around 375 bottles to do, so it makes sense to set up a little production line. I like to have 6-7 people. The bottle carriers are wooden crates I made to pass the bottles between stations. It serves two purposes; makes sure one person doesn't get way ahead of the next station and when someone gets up and knocks the table, we don't tip over bottles.

bottle line.jpg

Went over to the neighbor to see how he did on converting the shed into a wine area and give the barrel a taste. I wish I took some pictures (I’ll do it next time I go over there). It is awesome. It’s one of those, if $ were no object and you picture what you would want the space to look like, this is what it would be.

The barrel, which is 100% low brix Cab Franc from the yard, tasted excellent. He used medium toast French oak spirals, which complements the cranberry notes from the Cab Franc. He then talked about blending it, although he has nothing made that could be blended with it. I know he would like a bigger, darker wine. I’m trying to convince him to leave it alone. He will probably never make a single varietal Cab Franc again and to use this wine as a baseline wine. I guess the barrel could be split and add some commercial PV to part of it.

I sent him a follow-up text on what a great job he did on the space and he responded with liking the idea to keep this year a single varietal wine. Wait to you see this place, pretty awesome.

We picked a date to bottle, near the end of August. If I don’t get over before then, I’ll be sure to take pictures of his set-up, as well as bottling.

I gave him a list of stuff and links to purchase stuff needed; bottles, corks, caps, labels. All-in-one, bottle washer, bottle tree, corker, label aligner, hot plate, folding tables and chairs. Anything he doesn’t acquire, I’ll bring over. We will be doing 350 bottles and should be able to average 2 bottles a minute, once everyone learns their station.

Can you post a link to the label aligner? Or is this the one of your own design? If the latter, I’d like to commission @NorCal to build me one. PM me the price if you’d accept.
I did make one and still using it today after a few thousand bottles have gone through it. I would however recommend this one. I haven't used it, but @4score has and he says it does a good job.

Can you post a link to the label aligner? Or is this the one of your own design? If the latter, I’d like to commission @NorCal to build me one. PM me the price if you’d accept.
In the meantime you can just use the glass seam that runs perfectly vertical up the bottle. Makes for a quick & efficient way to keep labels straight.

*(except on tapered bottles. They can be a royal pain to keep labels aligned)

We ended up buying a second Label Wizard to speed the process!

Latest posts

Back