Help...?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMic

Junior
Reaction score
Went to the basement just now and looked at my carboys... For the first time I noticed wine in my airlocks... Both in fresh off primary ferm. Chilean as well as "been sitting for 7 months" fall California's... What is the cause of this, and should I be freaking out?

Not to worry, you need a little more space in there. This is caused by possibly 2 things.
1) being there is a barometric change and you are expecting a storm and this change causes this to happen or
2) you have encountered a temp change and the wine is expanding. I have had this happen to me many times with the weather change and barometeric changes causing this in my basement. Just clean out the airlock and remove a little of wine to make sure you have ample room now. This is why we stress to have good airlock fluids and npot just stagnant water as that can form bacteria and then this happen and guess what hapens from there possibly! I highly dought you have a problem if what you have in your airlocks is sulfite solution or vodka or something like that.

After reading this post I thought I better check my air locks. They were all perfect this morning. Late this afternoon we had about two hours of tornado watches. Severe rain storms came through several times in the afternoon and tonight. Well sure enough I had to add K-meta sanitizer to four of the air locks as they were short.

One one hand I am happy that my precious cargo is still ok, on the other hand, now I have to get off my couch and go fix my airlocks...! I blame BP and the oil spill...
just kidding, thanks again guys. much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back