Help!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmh4064

northwoodsgal
Reaction score
I did my first racking into my carboy and didn't have enough to fill to the neck.
It is a 5 gallon carboy. Is there something I should do or just leave it. It is about 4 inches from the start of the neck. It is bubbly just fine. My sg before I racked was 1035. Peach wine from a vintners wine base.

I did my first racking into my carboy and didn't have enough to fill to the neck.
It is a 5 gallon carboy. Is there something I should do or just leave it. It is about 4 inches from the start of the neck. It is bubbly just fine. My sg before I racked was 1035. Peach wine from a vintners wine base.

You can buy Welch's grape/peach concentrate and add that or any other juice that is natural. You should be ok for a while since it is still fermenting.

Thanks Julie! Do I get the frozen concentrate and make as directed by adding water? Can you also use natural juice already in the juice isle??

yeah. you know those round things you played with as a kid.

Put those in there, that will bring the level up, remove the air space, and not affect the concentration of your wine.

I wouldn't put the marbles in before you degas the wine !!! they might break or break the carboy while you're degassing . The first racking doesn't matter if there's space because you need room to degas & add any sweetening if you're using any .

Buy a bottle of wine you are making and add. Seams you lost alot on 1st racking. I personally think you racked to early @ 1.035.

Rule of thumb is not to do the first racking until you are around 1.010 and no if you are going to use the concentrate don't water it down this will add to your, I would probably use one can of water to every concentrate, you can also look for Juicy Juice 100% juice and see if they have a peach. They have just about every other flavor.

Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks Julie for clarifying about the juice.

I went ahead and added store bought peach wine and a tad of water. Hope this was fine.

This was my transfer from my bucket to the carboy for second fermentation and I hope that racking at 1035 this time was ok:slp

Last edited:
Dont take me wrong, topping off ith water can be done I just dont recommend it unless its very minimal and at that point where I think Id use water I would feel safe not even topping off but others may like a lighter wine then I. I will say that if using water ti use distilled water at this point as the 02 has been removed, its actually the opposite as when making the wine as spring or tap water is recommended rather then distilled at that point cause yeast actually like all the minerals and 02 and use these to strenghten themselves.

Thanks Wade E. I'm learning a lot of what and what not to do. I'm glad I joined this forum. Will keep up to date on how this batch is doing and I know I will have more questions! :?

+1 on glad I joined this forum. I've leared a lot, especially how to make wine from Wade, and not from ASid (just kidding Sid).

;-)

Latest posts

Back