HELP!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frbill

Junior
Reaction score
I picked a large amount of red grapes I crushed and sifted them in a press with a nice amount of red juice. And lots of pulp I didn’t know to leave the skins in. So now I have juice and pulp. Should I just dump it and start fresh or can this be saved and how and what do I do next? Thank you

Pitch yeast as in add some and ferment it?

Yes, "pitching" means throwing the yeast into the container. Most of us use buckets, or food grade trash cans for fermenting. The juice and pulp is called must. Keep the skins next time.

How much must do you have? One package of yeast is good for up to 6 gallons.

Yes, "pitching" means throwing the yeast into the container. Most of us use buckets, or food grade trash cans for fermenting. The juice and pulp is called must. Keep the skins next time.

How much must do you have? One package of yeast is good for up to 6 gallons.
About 5 to 6 gallons. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Depending on the type of grape and/or wine you want to produce there is no problem mixing them together again. Most reds press as white juice and get their color from the skins but a few like yours produce red juice. If this is the case I would definitely put the skins back.
Unfortunately i threw the skins away

I picked a large amount of red grapes I crushed and sifted them in a press with a nice amount of red juice. And lots of pulp I didn’t know to leave the skins in. So now I have juice and pulp. Should I just dump it and start fresh or can this be saved and how and what do I do next? Thank you
Sometimes mistakes are meant to happen. I've tasted two dif style wines from the same grape. One was rose' fermented no skins, one was the red-wine ferment with the skins. I couldn't believe it, I preferred the rose'. It was excellent. good luck It's the most wonderful time of the year :)

Sometimes mistakes are meant to happen. I've tasted two dif style wines from the same grape. One was rose' fermented no skins, one was the red-wine ferment with the skins. I couldn't believe it, I preferred the rose'. It was excellent. good luck It's the most wonderful time of the year

As usual, 'variety is the spice of life'! I have shifted from one varietal to another, only to shift back, or to another one. Red Zinfandel seems to be my often favorite, but a good bourbon barrel Cab. can't easily be beat (mediocre ones are pretty good too)!

Last edited:
OK, educate me here. If skins provide color and tannin, and he already has the color, why not add the missing part? Do skins provide other things, like acidity?

@G259, good question. The skins provide more beyond color and tannin -- taste, aroma, and body. I suppose there's more to it than that, but that's the highlight.

An acquaintance crushed, fermented, and pressed his red and white grapes alike. The different in whites fermented like reds is astounding. Adding tannin to white juice will not come anywhere close. I'd like to lay hands on white grapes (preferably Seyval or Vidal) and try it.

IMHO. I would not add any Tannin. Let it ride. You might want to tell us more like the grape varietal name. The area of the country they were grown. If you know it. good luck
I don’t know what kind of grapes exactly they were here already but my guess is concord I am in NE Ohio

I found some information you might find useful in making concord wine. There are many concord wine recipes online. I've seen recipes where strong cups of black tea were substituted for tannin.

Recipe for 1 gallon
Fruit Weight----------------Water------Sugar----Acid Blend---Tannin-----Yeast

Concord 6 lb. (light wine) 5 pints------1 ½ lb------2 tsp------- ½ tsp------Lalvin 1116
Concord 9 lb. (med)------4 pints------1 lb.---------1 tsp--------¼ tsp------Lalvin 1122
Concord 12 lb. (full)------2 pints-------¾ lb-----------0-----------0---------Lalvin C-212

Latest posts

Back