help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hersheysmom

Junior
Reaction score
My shiraz, I just started yesterday, it was starting to bubble, now the juice is filling up in the thing. Its still bubbling but instead of water, its juice. What is going on.

My shiraz, I just started yesterday, it was starting to bubble, now the juice is filling up in the thing. Its still bubbling but instead of water, its juice. What is going on.

eeeehhhhh :confused:

Satring to bubble is ok that's called fermenting
Filling up the thing :confused: what thing ???? Filling up means foam and that is quit normal.

Instead of water its juice ???? That confuses me.

Photo please ????

Luc

the air lock on the fermenter is filling up with the wine and spewing out. I just started it yesterday. it was bubbling just fine and now its spewing out the air lock. I opened the lid and cleaned the wine from air lock and replaced, it is still trying to fill up and spew out of air lock.

Last edited:
Sounds as if you put an air lock on the primary (is this abucket fitted with a lid or a carboy) since you said you just started it. If so and it's in a carboy then you can remove the air lock so that more CO2 can escape without causing a mess if in a bucket, just remove the lid. Most people use an open bucket for this first step so that more oxygen can be stirred into the must(twice daily). When the SG has droped to 1.020-1.010 you should rack to a carboy and then add the air lock.

Its in the bucket, do I need to transfer it to the carboy. It is still fermenting, but it is spewing out the air lock.

Don't have have any great advice, except get a bigger pail. I use 12 US gallon pails without an air lock for a 6 gallon kit.

Steve

Latest posts

Back