Other Help with the S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
Started a new wine kit today and the S.G. is not where it needs to be. The kit is Cellar Classic Winery Cabernet. I followed the directions to a "T". The temperture is 78 degrees, but the S.G. is only 1.080. The kit directions calls for a starting S.G. of 1.096-1.010. I didn't add the yeast yet till I get the S.G. right. Can I add more sugar to raise the S.G. Do I make a simple syrup? When I add the sugar will it raise the level of the juice and will there be enough room in the primary fermentor? Can someone help me? How much sugar ? Thanks, Bakervinyard

Started a new wine kit today and the S.G. is not where it needs to be. The kit is Cellar Classic Winery Cabernet. I followed the directions to a "T". The temperture is 78 degrees, but the S.G. is only 1.080. The kit directions calls for a starting S.G. of 1.096-1.010. I didn't add the yeast yet till I get the S.G. right. Can I add more sugar to raise the S.G. Do I make a simple syrup? When I add the sugar will it raise the level of the juice and will there be enough room in the primary fermentor? Can someone help me? How much sugar ? Thanks, Bakervinyard
Stir very very well. Agressively even. Take another sg reading.

Steve

Ditto. When the initial specific gravity is low, it means that the concentrated juice has not mixed well enough with the water. Do not be afraid to introduce oxygen at this stage as it won't hurt the wine.

D

Thanks, cpfan and dmulligan. I'll try that later today and let you know how I made out. I've never run across this problem in the beginning before and I've made 15-20 kits. Thanks. bakervinyard.

Recently I have been using my drill mounted mix stir after adding water to concentrate. It gets the oak dust mixed in well also.

S.G. is 1.100

Thanks everyone for your timely help. My S.G. is now at 1.100, Temp. is 74 degrees. I just pitched the yeast. I'll let you know how it's going. Thanks bakervinyard. Like the idea of using the drill mounted whip to stir the juice and oak. Thanks

Latest posts

Back