Help with TA in welches concord wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can give me some help. Fairly new to wine making. I started a batch of welches grape juice on 8-16-17. Six gallons of juice to a fermenter. 1/4 tsp k-meta . Brix 16.2, pH 3.37 and TA 6.9 g/l (0.69%). Added sugar to get starting gravity to 1.090. 2 tsp wine tannin. Yeast on 8-17-17. Fermentation took off. Yeast was 71B-1122. Fermentation doing ok. Gravity dropping. Temps 72-76.

Here's my problem : just now checked And TA is 9.3g/l , pH is 3.3 and sp gr is 1.034. I have not been checking TA along. Today is first day I have checked TA since prefermentation.

Why is the TA so high? What did I do wrong ?

Thanks for any help.

Brigitte

you have done nothing wrong. fermentation can generate carbolic acid from the CO2. it will eventually go away. any measurement made during fermentation other than specific gratuity will be suspect because of all the chemical reactions going on. wait until wine is clear to trust any measurement. do taste test to see if any additives may be necessary. just monitor specific gravity and rack when complete.

Salcoco, thanks!! That makes sense. So as long as my beginning TA is in ballpark (with or without acid adjustments as needed) I am pretty much good to go?
Thank you so much for taking time to reply
Cheers
Brigitte

Latest posts

Back