help with strawberry wine variant..out of the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benchmstr

Reaction score
I have 15lbs of strawberries and a 3lb can of strawberry puree, and I am gonna use all of this in a 6 gallon batch.

what should the rest of the recipe look like? I don't really want to do another batch of the stuff I normally make, so I am open to suggestions.

the bench

The recipe should be for not more than 3 or 4 gallons. Anything less than 5-6 lbs of strawberries per gallon is going to be very very light on tasted.
Rule of thumb that with most non-grape varieties you need to use as little water addition as possible. That means that with a few exceptions (Elderberries) anything made with 4 lbs of berries or less per gallon will be very light on taste. That 3 lb can of puree is good for about 1 - 1.5 gallons of wine those 15 lbs are good for maybe 3 gallons. The puree is going to create a lot of lees so you can figure on losing about 1/2 gallon of volume or more. So starting with 4.5 gallons of must is about as far as I would stretch that batch. As sugar figure what ABV you want and add until the reach the neccessary SG. Strawberries can very a lot in sugar content so you pretty much have to get the batch started (Berries crushed and set at least 24 hours in water, then you can get your SG set.

Latest posts

Back