Help with stabalizing and clarifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

Reaction score
Am almost to the stabilizing and clarifying stage and am wondering how much of each to use if doing gallon.....directions are for 5 to 6 gallon. Using Pot. metabisulfate and pot sorbate to stabilize and kieselsol and chitosan to clarify... thanks in advance:)

Divide the amount of chemicals by 5 and use that. Should be about right for a gal.Don't know about the clearing agents, if they are a liquid you should be able to do the same if you can seal them up somehow.I would try and use the opened packages in a reasonable amount of time, tho, don't know how long they last if they are opened. Arne.

If you have Campden tablets they are a lot easier in terms of measurement for 1 gallon batches. If you buy campden tablets make sure they are Potassium Metabisulfate and not Sodium Metabisulfate. I've never seen the latter but they are said to exist & are NOT the best choice.
1 Campden tablet crushed well and dissolved in an ounce or two ounces of warm water, add to the carboy you are going to rack the wine into and rack into it.
One good thing about Campden tabs is that there is no measuring involved. K-Meta powder for 1 gallon needs to be measured with a digital scale if possible.

If you have Campden tablets they are a lot easier in terms of measurement for 1 gallon batches. If you buy campden tablets make sure they are Potassium Metabisulfate and not Sodium Metabisulfate. I've never seen the latter but they are said to exist & are NOT the best choice.
1 Campden tablet crushed well and dissolved in an ounce or two ounces of warm water, add to the carboy you are going to rack the wine into and rack into it.
One good thing about Campden tabs is that there is no measuring involved. K-Meta powder for 1 gallon needs to be measured with a digital scale if possible.

Also, be aware that different campden tablets provide a different sized dose. Mine provide 30 ppm of SO2 per gallon. I have seed ads for others that provide 50. 67, 75, or 150 ppm per gallon of wine. I like the 30 ppm dose. Easier to work with in small batches. Whatever you have, make sure to read the label on the bottle.

Latest posts

Back