Help with small vineyard planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able, before the pandemic, to take several classes through a community collage viticulture and enology program. They are starting back with classes this year, so I may get a few more under my belt. I didn't learn everything but it was a help to understand a lot.

It looks like Wisconsin has a Grape Growers Association. I strongly encourage you to join. Talking to other growers and looking around other vineyards (not just in passing on the road) is really helpful. I looks like they have several past events and I expect they will be having more soon. They have a classified page and I see someone had grow tubes for sale. Our VA association exchange has really been useful for me. I have bought a lot of used items off the exchange. I even was able to get some free bottles last year.

One thing about viticulture; everyone is willing to help and no one is in competition. Like the pandemic, we are all in this together.

One negative with TWC is the as the shoots grow from the cordon they act as a sail and tend to get blown about as they are only loosely tied to the top wire. I think a wire one foot below the top wire would help anchor the new shoots.

I‘m thinking you’ve got one heck of a nice Christmas tree for this year along with an awesome view of your new babies!
I won’t be waiting for Christmas. I’ll be firing up the chainsaw the next cool day I get. It’s funny. I’ve always hated that tree because it’s too big and messy but my wife wouldn’t let me cut it down. She’s the one who complained she couldn’t see the vineyard 🤣. I can fix that!

When looking at a pest management guide I saw that Asian lady beetles are a problem
I hope not! We have them by the ton, being surrounded by either corn or soy beans. I believe they eat aphids, not grapes or grape leaves.

There are spring and fall days when it is unpleasant to be outside because they are so plentiful.

What I DO know is that they STINK. When I pick my first harvest this year I will be sure to shake them off as they would be a terrible addition to the wine.

I hope not! We have them by the ton, being surrounded by either corn or soy beans. I believe they eat aphids, not grapes or grape leaves.

There are spring and fall days when it is unpleasant to be outside because they are so plentiful.

What I DO know is that they STINK. When I pick my first harvest this year I will be sure to shake them off as they would be a terrible addition to the wine.
Same here! As far as I know they are a problem because they hide in the clusters and taint the wine. I recently saw a link heee on getting them out of the grapes but can’t find it.

i fenced my Montana vineyard with 5' welded wire mesh and it was very effective in keeping the deer out. put chicken wire cages around the young vines to deter rabbits.
Did you use galvanized? Or stainless steel?

I only ask because the galvanizing can be very bad environmentally for the soil. If you need a good source for the welded material - try here:
Welded Wire Mesh

So how is that potential future Christmas tree doing?

My wife announced this morning that we needed to "declutter the view of the vineyard" - which means get rid of a birch tree and some random shrubs. I thought of you when she said that!!!

So how is that potential future Christmas tree doing?

My wife announced this morning that we needed to "declutter the view of the vineyard" - which means get rid of a birch tree and some random shrubs. I thought of you when she said that!!!
I’m still waiting for cooler weather. Days are getting shorter too. Not many daylight hours left after my day job.

Back