Help with primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
I’m using a Moscato Winexpert kit for the first time ever. Following my instructions I see that I should let my primary fermentation go on for 14 days. From there I should check the sg. My question is... I looked online to see how long wine should be fermenting in the primary container and I’m seeing like 3-5 days. My instructions say 14. It’s on day 3 right now. When should I check my SG? And what should it be before I move into Secondary fermentation? And how do I figure out what my SG should be before I’m done? I took my initial reading and it was 1.060

@Braden - I would only use the instructions as your guide. You can check your SG at any time. After the 14 days, or whenever your wine is .995 or lower, move to a carboy and put it under lock.

Second fermentation really doesn’t apply with wine kits. SF refers to the use of bacteria introduced after primary to convert malic acid to lactic acid. You actually don’t do this with kits, although a few do and have tried recently. But, it’s not necessary or advised.

Trust your hydrometer. As a general practice, don’t get in a hurry to progress to subsequent steps in the instructions. As long as you’ve practiced exceptional equipment hygiene and have mitigated oxygen exposure with an airlock, you’re safe.

Back