Help with primary fermentation

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by Braden, Jan 23, 2020.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 23, 2020 #1

Braden

Braden

Braden

Junior

I’m using a Moscato Winexpert kit for the first time ever. Following my instructions I see that I should let my primary fermentation go on for 14 days. From there I should check the sg. My question is... I looked online to see how long wine should be fermenting in the primary container and I’m seeing like 3-5 days. My instructions say 14. It’s on day 3 right now. When should I check my SG? And what should it be before I move into Secondary fermentation? And how do I figure out what my SG should be before I’m done? I took my initial reading and it was 1.060

2. Jan 23, 2020 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

When in doubt, with a wine kit, follow your instructions. They probably also say lock your kid down and add an air lock.

3. Jan 23, 2020 #3

Aeludor

Aeludor

Aeludor

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

Careful with locking your kid down though, they tend to get upset if they can't get out of the water.

Brian55, StreetGlide and cmason1957 like this.
  4. Jan 23, 2020 #4

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

I lock my kids down all the time. It teaches them necessary lessons like how to pick locks.

I meant the instructions tell you to lock your lid down.

crushday and Aeludor like this.
  5. Jan 23, 2020 #5

crushday

crushday

crushday

Grape juice artisan WMT Supporter

@Braden - I would only use the instructions as your guide. You can check your SG at any time. After the 14 days, or whenever your wine is .995 or lower, move to a carboy and put it under lock.

Second fermentation really doesn’t apply with wine kits. SF refers to the use of bacteria introduced after primary to convert malic acid to lactic acid. You actually don’t do this with kits, although a few do and have tried recently. But, it’s not necessary or advised.

Trust your hydrometer. As a general practice, don’t get in a hurry to progress to subsequent steps in the instructions. As long as you’ve practiced exceptional equipment hygiene and have mitigated oxygen exposure with an airlock, you’re safe.

sour_grapes likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted