Help with my Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 3-5 gallon carboys of pinot grigio aging and I tasted it yesterday and it was very harsh. It almost felt like a burning on the back of your throat when you swallowed it. It didn't have a very clean crisp taste. It doesn't taste spoiled or oxidized. I started the pinot grigio in Sept 2008 from fresh juice pails. The sg was 1.090. I racked it to the secondary 9 days later and the sg was .992. Then I racked and added sulfites 30 days later on Oct 27 2008. Then I cold stabilized on April 2 2009 for 3 weeks then racked it. It has not completly cleared. It looks more like Chardonnay then Pinot Grigio. This is my first try at making wine. My Merlot tastes great but I need some help with the Pinot Grigio.
Before you ask The only readings I have are the sg. The fresh juice pails were all balanced when I bought them and I do not have any other testing equipment and I did not MLF. Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Bryan

1st Welcome to our group! :b
How much k-meta did you add?
What kind of clearing agent did you use?
Did you degas?
Sometimes if you did not degas the gas keeps particles in suspension. I would degas now and add more clearing agents and see what happens.

I used 1 campden tablet per gallon crushed and dissolved. I cold stabilized and degassed but did not use any clearing agent. I was hoping with age it would clear on its own. What clearing agent would you recommend?

Bryan

I would use what you have.
Kidding aside you should have surplus of Yeast, K-meta, Sorbate,and clearing agents if you plan on making wine other than kits..
I would suggest
Super-Kleer 2 part
Isinglass
Sparkolloid
Degas again and then add one of the above and watch it clear..

Some of these juice buckets just arent good. I made a Chenin Blanc using Lodi Gold juice from Calif. and it was horrible.

Latest posts

Back