Help with low PH Cab Sauv

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runruh130

Junior
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I have been lurking on here for a while. I did my first all grape Cabernet Sauvignon last fall. Unfortunately, I made a few mistakes along the way such as adjusting the PH after fermentation, not before, and sulfiting before trying to put the wine through MLF. I started with a pretty high PH of 4.1~ and then I definitely over adjusted with tartaric acid and overshot my target PH. I currently have a PH of 3.37 and a TA of 7.5. I was hoping to rAisle the PH up to 3.5-3.6 With potassium bicarbonate? Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. It is a bit tart or maybe even a tad sour.I am guessing it’s because it’s young it has a bit of a herbaceous/green taste?

I added Wyeast 4007 eight months ago or so? I recently added some VP41 but I think the SO2 level is too high for MLF. Is there a way to remove SO2 or do I just bottle it and give it time?

Last edited:
HI everyone,

I have been lurking on here for a while. I did my first all grape Cabernet Sauvignon last fall. Unfortunately, I made a few mistakes along the way such as adjusting the PH after fermentation, not before, and sulfiting before trying to put the wine through MLF. I started with a pretty high PH of 4.1~ and then I definitely over adjusted with tartaric acid and overshot my target PH. I currently have a PH of 3.37 and a TA of 7.5. I was hoping to rAisle the PH up to 3.5-3.6 With potassium bicarbonate? Does anyone have any suggestions ?
You try ML fermentation as sulfite levels decrease over time and with racking. Racking will free up some of the sulfite.lowrring it. Cold stabilization should help bring the TA down but not pH if pH is low. TA is what gives the wine the amount of tartness so decreasing with cold stabilization may help. Aging the wine helps reduce acidity perception also. I have a cab franc that started with pH 4, I over acidified it trying to get perfect numbers, became too tart. Cold stabilization helped but what has helped the most is aging. It is about 2 years old now and improving. From the way it is going, another 6 months - year will have it ready to drink per my standards which are high. Casual wine drinker friends of mine love this wine though because the higher acidity perception gives it a freshness and makes it seem more fruit forward. I want it to be more balanced and complex which is slowly happening with time.

I would try to avoid potassium bicarbonate and only use as last result. Young wines tend to be more tart so give time and try to do ML fermentation if it has not gone through it yet.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It sounds like yours ended up working out pretty well.

I do not quite have the equipment to cold stabilize. Being in Michigan my garage may have to be that tool. I will rack it again to tryand free up some sulfite. I may bottle it soon and give it some time. I need to free up some space since I have some frozen must coming to redeem myself from last years effort. :)

I also made the same mistake of over correcting by adding too much acid before fermentation. Started at 4.2, added enough acid priorto bring it down to 3.6, and after it was finished it was at 3.3, and a little too tart. I used some potassium bicarbonate to bring it to 3.45 before racking and it now taste fine. A little low in body for my liking, but that has nothing to do with the potassium bicarbonate. I read you need to be careful with it since it will add a bitter salty taste to the wine if you use too much.

I did the same to the Rose' that has a PH of 2.8 now. Not sure how I will correct that.

But anyway, I now would only correct too low of a PH prior to fermentation with calcium bicarbonate, since it is a better option, and just assume PH readings will not great until after the wine is fermented and pressed.

I pressed a Petite Sirah last week that started at 4.2 and finished at 3.6 with no adjustments.

Good to know I’m not the only one that has made this mistake!

Are the PHs you mention before MLF or after?

I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It sounds like yours ended up working out pretty well.

I do not quite have the equipment to cold stabilize. Being in Michigan my garage may have to be that tool. I will rack it again to tryand free up some sulfite. I may bottle it soon and give it some time. I need to free up some space since I have some frozen must coming to redeem myself from last years effort. :)
You don't say quantities you are dealing with, but I'd buy more carboys and let this sit in the garage longer. It needs the time, and you would be -much- better in bulk if it starts malolactic fermentation. Rack to help remove sulfites, and wait.

I added some potassium carbonate and brought the ph up into the 3.7 range. I have not tested TA yet. The carbon has been in my garage for a week or so and smells great. I will give it a taste soon before I bottle it. I am thinking it may just need some time. On a positive note my second all grape wine is going much better!

Your numbers aren't way out of whack, but you could always keep and blend with something with a higher pH. As already suggested give the wine some of that Michigan winter temperatures for a week or two (don't let it freeze) which will help some of the tartaric combine with any free potassium, which should drop you pH.

Latest posts

Back