Help With Labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a LaserJet printer (but access to InkJet). Have used: (1) Avery #6464 3.33" X 4" which is removable, but does not hold up well to moisture, and (2) Avery #5524 3.33" X 4" which is WeatherProof and holds up well, but is very difficult to remove.

Any counsel on label options about this size that are both durable in moist situations and easy to remove?

Thanks for recommendations!
Mark

I use Avery 8163 or 8164 which is a little bigger 3 1/3 x 4. I like the 8164 better. I bring a thumb drive with the label to officemax and they print it on color laser. Looks good and holds up to a little moisture like bottle sweating ok. Cheap for the 4-5 sheets they print.

I have been buying my labels from onlinelabels.com. I buy the OL150 (3.33x4") in weatherproof (pvc) for use with laser printers. I use their online label designer (Maestro), which is super easy to use. You get a one year subscription to the label designer for free if you order more than 10 bucks of product. Then you download the .PDF of the label sheet that is ready for printing. I have a color laser printer that I bought refurbished a few years ago for 100 bucks.

I use Avery 8163 or 8164 which is a little bigger 3 1/3 x 4. I like the 8164 better. I bring a thumb drive with the label to officemax and they print it on color laser. Looks good and holds up to a little moisture like bottle sweating ok. Cheap for the 4-5 sheets they print.

Thanks. The 8164 description reads: "Permanent Adhesive." Can these be removed easily for recycling bottles?

Been using the Avery 22827 labels for many years, they're the perfect size for a 750 ml bottle, they will not come off, run or fade in water or any kind of moisture, are easily removed in seconds with almost no effort, and don't leave any glue or residue behind.

I have been buying my labels from onlinelabels.com. I buy the OL150 (3.33x4") in weatherproof (pvc) for use with laser printers. I use their online label designer (Maestro), which is super easy to use. You get a one year subscription to the label designer for free if you order more than 10 bucks of product. Then you download the .PDF of the label sheet that is ready for printing. I have a color laser printer that I bought refurbished a few years ago for 100 bucks.

Thanks, @VinoKS. Can these be removed easily for recycling bottles?

sheetlabels.com product RXW, size SL571 are 3.75"x4.75" - four to a sheet polyester weatherproof labels that can simply be pealed off. bets thing since sliced bread. these are for laser printers so i just take them to staples to be printed

@mhopkins - I just soak them in warm water for several minutes in batches, then use one of those paint scrapers with a razor blade. The glue turns to rubber and is easily removed. They are FAR easier than cleaning labels off of commercial bottles.

sheetlabels.com product RXW, size SL571 are 3.75"x4.75" - four to a sheet polyester weatherproof labels that can simply be pealed off. bets thing since sliced bread. these are for laser printers so i just take them to staples to be printed

The "Details" on that label, which the description says is "for laser printers", say "You can also print on this with a laser printer, although testing is always recommended." What do you suppose they mean by that? One way or the other, it's a typo: Either that sentence shouldn't be there at all (redundancy), or they mean that you can also print on this with an ink jet printer but said "laser printer" instead.

Last edited:
Lately I've been printing on standard 20-lb printer paper, cutting with my wife's paper cutter and gluing them on with milk. It's certainly not waterproof, but they're sure easy to get off.

Could be a problem for white wines in some regions of the country but not for us here in the Pacific Northwest where ice buckets aren't necessary nor do you have to chill wine much below the dew point.

Last edited:
The "Details" on that label, which the description says is "for laser printers", say "You can also print on this with a laser printer, although testing is always recommended." What do you suppose they mean by that? One way or the other, it's a typo: Either that sentence shouldn't be there at all (redundancy), or they mean that you can also print on this with an ink jet printer but said "laser printer" instead.
definitely works with laser printer - that's what i always use. i wouldn't use ink jet simply because it's possible for ink to run if it gets wet

If you only have an ink jet printer. After printing, spray your labels a couple of times lightly with a clear acrylic sealer to keep the ink from running. It does a very good job and you can use labels that state they are for laser printers.

Latest posts

Back