Help with knowing if my grapes are ripe enough

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klutz

Reaction score
I'm still struggling with this, so please have a look at my picture. I have no clue what these grapes are, but they taste sweet- not super sweet. The skin is a little bit tart. We have had heaps of sun this summer, but the last few nights have gone down to 5 degrees celsius. The weatherman predicts two days of light rain and chance of rain, then about 15 and mainly sunny after. It's 11 right now.
So here is my question. I would like to leave them on the vine longer, but don't know if it's safe this time of year. I live in southern British Columbia. Is there anyone from there that can give me advice?
Thanks.

DSC02555.jpg

to verify ripeness just pick a few crush to get juice and measure with a refractometer to see the brix level. if you have only a hydrometer than you will need to crush more to get enough juice. get the sugar reading as close to sg=1092 as you can. another is to measure the acid and ph the best is a range for acid of 6-9g/l and a ph of from 3.3 to 3.5. check the seeds are the dark brown and crunchy? if so the grape is ripe. if not continued ripening is possible. based on your weather report you should be able to let them stay on the vine longer if these numbers do not occur. the sugar should increase and the acid should decrease as time goes on. if they both stabilize and not yet ideal and seeds are black go ahead and pick. additive can be made after crush.

Thank you so much! Yes, I could have thought about crushing some and getting the sugar at least. Lots of good information. Thanks again.

There are different methods to measure ripeness, including the color of the seeds, color of the stem, skin slip, etc.

But the easiest to directly measure indicator of ripeness which requires no real experience is Brix times pH squared.

But if your pH is 3.3 or above for a white wine grape, consider harvesting now, else risk a flabby wine. Correct for sugar in the winery. Unless you want to make an ice wine. Then let it hang.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back