Help with fruit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

Reaction score
I have had my triple berry wine in secondary for two months....specific gravity reading is still 1.07. It tastes good, just sweet. Is it okay to stabilize and clarify or what do I need to do?? And how soon after stabilizing does degassing need to be done? New at all of this and feeling little overwhelmed. Husband likes sweet wine....I prefer semi sweet.

You maybe need to tell us everything you have done so far. Usually you don't move any wine from a bucket until SG drops from starting value to about 1.02 or so?? It sounds more like maybe you have a stuck fermentation than anything else.
Like I said I am really new to all of this...used recipe out of fruit wine book but when started didn't have hydrometer. I made up according to instructions, after ten days put into airlocked gallon jug, left for one month, reracked and left tor little over two months. I did look back at the recipe and it says it is a very sweet berry wine.

Last edited:
You can degas anytime. Stabilizing cant happen until fermentation stops. If it keeps creating co2 it is still fermenting. But I agree with cmason. How much sugar, what yeast.
Recipes are merely recommendations, by taking sg readings and keeping notes you can adjust them to suit your taste and better predict your outcome. you can just let it sit. It will degas and clear all by itself .

Latest posts

Back