help with fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgrabow

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of apple wine going now. I used fresh apple juice that we pressed, added the campden tablets, and then used wyeast 4242, it fermented well for 7 days . starting sg was 1.085 after 7 days it was at 1.035 we racked it to a carboy added airlock and have waited after ten days it was at 1.030 and has stayed there 13 days in still no more change, has a few bubbles in airlock every once in a while, should I add a different yeast at this point to see if it ferments to 1.000 or below or stabilize it and degas, I was wanting a sweet apple wine , planned on back sweetening, wine is very cloudy, doesn't seem to be settling, need advice on next step, see a lot of conflicting ideas. thanks kevin

Degas and check sg again.
Yeast nutreant like fermaidO might help
Apple is slow to clear, push it to the back. And start something new to keep you busy.
Did you use a clearing agent?

I had used wyeast nutrient haven't added any since the first dose at the beginning, I have not used any clearing agents yet. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens, I also have 3 gallons of spiced apple wine going, 5 gallons of cider with saf cider yeast and 3 gallons of cider with brown sugar and lalvin 71b 1122 yeast, had a great apple crop we have 30 gallons pressed and in the freezer and 5 gallons of pear juice frozen too, lots of plans, next is a dragon blood to get something a little quicker, thanks for the help will keep updated on the progress

What are your temps? When you racked if you left all the solids and heavy lees, you probably racked most of the yeast off with them. Either have to add more or make sure the must is warm enough, probably mid to high 70's or both. It should ferment down below 1.000, if your wine is cloudy it probably is full of co2 and more than likely still fermenting but slowly. If I had to add yeast to it I would make a nice strong starter. Put the yeast in a cup of warm water with a spoon of sugar in it. When it gets fermenting, add a cup or so of our must. Let it sit and when it gets rolling add another cup to it. Do this a couple of times, then add to your batch. Should take off fairly fast. Good luck with it, Arne.

Just thought of something else. Did you add k=meta (campden tablets) or potasssium sorbate to the wine when you racked? If so, that has probably created your problem. Arne.

racking at 1.030 is pretty early, I would get it back into a bucket and add more yeast. Like Arne said, you probably racked most of the yeast. Leave it in the bucket until sg is down around 1.010 and actually at that point I would just snap the lid down and add an airlock to the bucket, rack once fermentation has been completed.

thanks I am pretty new to all this, the recipe I was following said to rack it to a carboy when sg hit 1.040 then rack again after a week then after another week then in two weeks then rack every 2 months until clear it doesn't give an ending sg, I didn't add any campden tablets at the time of racking, didn't have much for sediment in the bottom of the primary,when we racked it off , temp is in controlled room been 72 degrees all through the process. this one was a little different than all the others I currently have going, they all finished off below 1.000, maybe the yeast I used, it said it would leave a little residual sugar but I thought it would still go below 1.000, thanks I will put it back to primary and add some yeast, thanks for the help

I've never used 71B 1122 for a fruit, just reds. If you're going through the process again maybe try a different yeast too. Someone will help with a good fruit yeast option.

Take your time. Apple wine will clear sooner or later, mostly later, much later. no point is rushing the racking process. Once fermentation is over rack immediately after it finishes, once more when sufficient lees build up again, and then wait wait wait, I'd go 3 month intervals.
And be sure to use plenty of Pectic Enzyme.

Latest posts

Back