Help with Aussie Chenin Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanook37

Junior
Reaction score
I'm getting some Aussie Chenin Blanc juice from Presque Isle and I haven't made white wine from juice for a while - The juice is 23 Brix, 6.1 TA, and has a pH of 3.34. I'm going to use QA23 for the yeast - Any thoughts on fermentation temp or if I should made an acid or other adjustment before fermentation?

Thanks

The first Chenin Blanc that I made was with Aussie juice from PI. in 2018. It was excellent with no additions or corrections. I immediately fell in love with Chenin Blanc, light, fruity with floral notes and very drinkable within months. Sadly, I've misplaced my notes on that one although I'm sure I used EC1118 yeast and fermented in my basement at 60-65F degrees. I made another CB with Aussie juice from PI in 2021, Brix 21, QA23 yeast with Go-Ferm, fermented in a cool room in the house at about 70 degrees F. I just opened a bottle of this last night, very good wine, fruit carries through but no floral notes like the last; crisp. I don't know if the difference was due to the vintage or the lower fermentation temp. The rule of thumb for whites leans toward cooler temp fermentation.

Latest posts

Back