Help! WineExpert Diablo Rioja

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug’s wines

Making (or Drinking) Wine
Reaction score
Anyone have their notes handy on a vintner’s reserve diablo rioja? A friend bought this kit and gave it to me so I have no idea the expectations and I can’t find much online. I just kicked it off and starting SG is 1.068 or so which seems low. I even got a second meter to test and verify the SG reading. It has a ton of oak dust which I’m on the fence about adding to primary as I intend to barrel age this for a year in a new oak barrel. Anyone do this kit and is this inline with your starting SG readings? Thinking about chapitalizing a bit to boost the alcohol, but don’t know if I’m missing something on the oak packs (there are 3 packs). It also comes with a reserve sweetener pack and I’m trying to decide if I should add it to primary to boost things a bit too.

~1.068 should yield about ~9.3%. Rioja’s usually come in around 12.5-13% I think. Any thoughts?

I've made this kit before if you give me a reminder I'll post photos on the prosess, yes capitalize now to 1.12 ,add 2/2 cup Sunmaid raisins, 2 packs of oak dust to primary, forget the last package.
Then let your hydrometer be your guide.sprinkle ec1118 on top cover and walk away. Let time do its thing and make wine 😉.

Thanks Joe. Wondering if I should use this reserve sweetener pack (anyone know what’s in it? ) or just make up some simple syrup... probably just use simple syrup unless I can figure out what’s in that pack.

The flavor / sweetener pack is generally to enhance flavor and sweetness post fermentation. If you’re not a lover of sweet wines, consider adding half of the pack before fermenting (keep second half in the fridge), then boosting your SG into the 1.090 - 1.100 range. After fermentation is over and you’ve added your sulfite / sorbate, add the second half of the pack. As the wine clears and degasses, you may decide to sweeten it a bit more, pretty easy to accomplish with a little sugar. As for the oak, use it as directed for the oak that goes into primary fermentation, it provides sacrificial tannins to assist un binding colors in your wine. It won’t prevent you from barrel aging later, as little oak flavor will be imparted from the oak during fermentation. If you have oak intended to be used during aging, skip that in favor of your barrel.

Thanks John. Going to go ahead and add half the pack then boost the SG. Will retain the rest and decide on that part later. Appreciate everyone’s quick feedback.

This kit finishes out semi dry the way it supposed to do what you want with the fpac, the key is the flavor of this wine it's basically fruit forward,semi dry finished out at and ABV at 12 % for a true Spanish red 🍷.
If your not careful this kit can water down on you pay attention to the ABV.let it be your guide on this one.

This kit finishes out semi dry the way it supposed to do what you want with the fpac, the key is the flavor of this wine it's basically fruit forward,semi dry finished out at and ABV at 12 % for a true Spanish red 🍷.
If your not careful this kit can water down on you pay attention to the ABV.let it be your guide on this one.

Thanks Joe. So I just added half the fpack, remeasure SG and WOW that stuff must be sweet. It boosted SG to 1.108. approximately Half the pack give it a .04 boost! Now I’m higher than I would like and I made up a batch of simple syrup for nothing :slp ....

Guess I’m making some old fashioned’s tonight.

No, keep the simple syrup in a ball jar for another time.
Let time do its job
Walk away.

DIABLO ROJO; THIS OFF, DRY AND DARK PURPLE IN COLOR BLEND ,NOISE OF BLACKBERRY JAM MINGLED WITH CREATIVE VANILLA AROMAS AND A TOUCH OF TOBACCO AND A BRANDY STYLE FINISH YET IT IS A WINE ALL THE WAY.

SOUNDS LIKE MOUTHFUL. WHERE GONNA MAKE IT JUST THAT. OUR TWEAKS TO THIS KIT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS.

WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE YEAST ,TWO EC 1118 THIS IS DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS IN OUR WORKSPACE. SECONDLY, GOING TO ADD A SMOKED WOODEN STAVE ALONG WITH OAK TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY. WE ARE GOING TO USE A BELLY BAND DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE IN OUR WORKSPACE. THE OAK STAVE WILL GO IN THE PRIMARY, THE OAK TANNINS WILL GO IN THE SECONDARY AND LONG WITH A HANDFUL OF FRESH BLACKBERRIES JUST SQUEEZED. THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FPAC JUST A HANDFUL OF BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER

BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER NOTHING TO OVERWHELM JUST A TOUCH OF BLACKBERRY DEPTH. REMEMBER, THIS IS STILL A ROJO AND THE STYLE IS BOLD AND FRUITY. WE MAY ALSO BRING UP THE ABV. TO 1.14. THIS ONE SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A MOUTHFUL... FOLLOW THE FLOW..

FINISH; great flavor fruits and woods intertwined medium body and smooth finish. If I WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IT WOULD BOOSTED UP THE PH A LITTLE MORE.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 4 (2).jpg
    4 (2).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Phase #2......................follow the flow it wont matter what kit the profile is the same..

Attachments

• 16a.jpg
    16a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 18A.jpg
    18A.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg