Help! White mold layer on wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseb

Junior
Reaction score
This morning I saw by coincidence that there is a layer of mold on my wine. Not sure how long it has been there, but can't be more than a week. Also the fluid in the airlock seems infected. Not sure how clear it is from the picture, but there is a whiteish thing floathing in there. Also there are still (or again) some tiny bubbles coming to the surface? I did a MLF before, perhaps this was not finished?

The wine has been aging for a few months now.

What is it and is my wine still salvageable? Is it worth it to transfer to a clean vessel and re-dose some sulfites?

Attachments

• 20230110_143545.jpg
    20230110_143545.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_143551.jpg
    20230110_143551.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_143656.jpg
    20230110_143656.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I would "float" this film off. That is, I would slowly and carefully add more wine to the vessel until the film spills out of the top. Then remove the excess wine, add a dose of sulfite, wipe out the neck with a paper towel soaked in sulfite solution, and clean out and sanitize your airlock.

I second what Paul says, except instead of the normal 1/4 tsp for a 5 gallon carboy, I would double that and add a 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon carboy. If using campden tablets, instead of 1 per gallon, I would add 2 per gallon. It's just a little extra insurance to kill off anything that might be in there.

I second what Paul says, except instead of the normal 1/4 tsp for a 5 gallon carboy, I would double that and add a 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon carboy. If using campden tablets, instead of 1 per gallon, I would add 2 per gallon. It's just a little extra insurance to kill off anything that might be in there.
It should work, it's well worth a try. The extra SO2 will dissipate with ageing.

I have also seen it noted that cleaning with everclear will sanitize the neck, as well as 'floating' everclear after cleaning will sterilize anything missed in the wine.

A small spoon used to gently pour everclear into the neck to increase alcohol in the top portion of the wine will sterilize and hopefully inhibit any regrowth.

I always find these posts interesting.
I make bread, kombucha, vinegar, yogurt, and lacto fermented veggies. Every room of my house MUST be teaming with microbes though I've never had any problems. It makes me think that normal sanitation can handle airborne contaminants and if there's a problem there's a different mechanism at work.
Thinking out loud....

The overflow method sounds messy. I would try a sanitized turkey baster to remove the mold. Then spray the neck with a sulfite solution and add a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp kmeta to the carboy. Top off with wine. Also, be sure to thoroughly clean the airlock.

I would "float" this film off. That is, I would slowly and carefully add more wine to the vessel until the film spills out of the top. Then remove the excess wine, add a dose of sulfite, wipe out the neck with a paper towel soaked in sulfite solution, and clean out and sanitize your airlock.
Thanks, going to do that this evening.

Another reason to use vodka or Everclear in your airlocks.

Also, it seems like there was the bare minimum of fluid in the airlock.
But the alcohol evaporates pretty quick right? This is a starsan solution, so should kill off any bacteria... Emphasis on should.

Any ideas about the type of mold? Can it be harmful to consume? Does an extra large dose of sulfite kill it all and make it safe?

But the alcohol evaporates pretty quick right? This is a starsan solution, so should kill off any bacteria... Emphasis on should.
I've used K-meta solution -- it works initially to address anything airborne, but loses efficacy with time, so it's no better than water. I assume the same for Star San.

For most containers, I use vented bungs after clearing, which eliminates the problem. For containers that won't accept a vented bung, I use plain water and check the airlocks at least weekly, and am in the habit of switching stoppers and airlocks every month or three.

It's a good habit to keep an eye on secondary storage -- mostly there's nothing to see, but when there is a problem, catching it quickly is best.

The overflow method sounds messy. I would try a sanitized turkey baster to remove the mold. Then spray the neck with a sulfite solution and add a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp kmeta to the carboy. Top off with wine. Also, be sure to thoroughly clean the airlock.
I would use a baster as well. Overflowing seems it would put more wine in contact with it, as well.

I would use a baster as well. Overflowing seems it would put more wine in contact with it, as well.
Pour carefully in a single spot to limit breaking the film, possibly using a straw, and that should limit contact. I'd be more worried about breaking the film up than anything. Regardless of method, care and precision are required in removing the film.

Latest posts

Back