Help! What's wrong with my leaves?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBgobears

Junior
Reaction score
Amateur grape grower here, with some vines in the backyard of my California home. For the past 2 years, I have had a big issue with my grapes, detailed in the attached pictures.

The main symptoms are:
  • Leaves that die far too early
  • Small bugs/flies that infest the vines
  • Grapes clusters that lose 50% of their fruit before harvest
Does anyone know what this is, or how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7015.jpg
    IMG_7015.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7017.jpg
    IMG_7017.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7018.jpg
    IMG_7018.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7019.jpg
    IMG_7019.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
What v
Amateur grape grower here, with some vines in the backyard of my California home. For the past 2 years, I have had a big issue with my grapes, detailed in the attached pictures.

The main symptoms are:
What varietal is it. And second do you spray at all? if not you should if you have bugs infesting your vines.

The main symptoms are:
You should already be spraying for Powdery Mildew if you include stylet oil in the rotation it will take care of the leaf hopper I saw in one of your photos. Leaf hoppers feed off the leaves but are only a real problem when they occur in great numbers. If you try and use oil this time of year be careful of high temperatures as it will burn.

The main symptoms are:

Another option for powdery mildew is Serenade, it's effective, considered an "organic" fungal control and has very few application restrictions.

Spray with sulfur right after winter pruning and starting at budbreak every 10 days or so till the weather is routinely above 90 degrees or grapes turn color . I had same problem initially and now vines , leaves , and grapes look terrific . Also use the sulfur powder you mix with water don’t use the premixed spray bottle stuff cause it doesn’t work

Spray with sulfur right after winter pruning and starting at budbreak every 10 days or so till the weather is routinely above 90 degrees or grapes turn color . I had same problem initially and now vines , leaves , and grapes look terrific . Also use the sulfur powder you mix with water don’t use the premixed spray bottle stuff cause it doesn’t work
Premixed stuff does work, please don't give false information.

I have used a premixed spray that was for bugs and fungus and had sulfur in it and it did take care of some mild fungus on a vine of mine.

Last edited:
Premixed stuff does work, please don't give false information.

I have used a premixed sorry that was for bugs and fungus and had sulfur in it and it did take care of some mild fungus on s vine of mine.

Then I’ll rephrase ... it didn’t work for my vines but the powder stuff worked like a charm ;)

I did not look at all of the pictures but it looks like powdery mildew. I spray my vines with a rotation of Rally and Captan for powdery mildew. I did not see the grape varietal listed but I would check to see if your varietal is sensitive to sulfur before spraying with sulfur. Here is a complete spray program that I use:

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/hort/documents/id-465.pdf

I did not look at all of the pictures but it looks like powdery mildew. I spray my vines with a rotation of Rally and Captan for powdery mildew. I did not see the grape varietal listed but I would check to see if your varietal is sensitive to sulfur before spraying with sulfur. Here is a complete spray program that I use:

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/hort/documents/id-465.pdf
Agreed, I do know Barbera is sensitive to sulphur, and heat. So that's one vine that just causes problems.

Immunox is also very effective on PM, but has a 14 day PHI. The jury is still out here on Serenade. I didn't think Captan was that effective of PM??
I use it because it's reasonable safe and works. I don't want to spray really really really strong stuff.

Latest posts

Back