Help! Whats up with my fermentation!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJC

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am just getting into my first wine kit and I am not sure if I am just not being patient enough for the yeast to doing its job or if something else is going on.

I meticulously cleaned rinsed 4 times then sanitized the primary bucket, began making my kit following the instructions to a T, the instructions state to sprinkle the EC-1118 yeast on top of the juice and leave covered with loose lid, fermentation should start in 6-12 hours. I left the primary bucket in a room that is almost perfectly 72F, it has been about 50~ hours and I see a slight head with minimal bubbles. I wasn't sure if I should expect more or not so I took a SG reading. It started at 1.085 and it might be at 1.080 if I am lucky. Since the SG doesn't appear to be dropping much, is that normal and it should drop to 1.010 in the next 7 days?

Here is what it looked like when I first pitched the yeast:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5lTW1pfw7s-NEp2eHZ6RnUwZm8

Here is what it looks like now:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5lTW1pfw7s-YXppa0lxa01ScUE

If you think the yeast is working just slowly should I leave it? Should I try and get another pack of yeast? How long should I wait before I do anything if the SG does't move?

If I remember correctly ec1118 is a low foam yeast. Don't use it much, it's considered a super yeast. Good to about 18%. Can't open the pictures but give it another day or two before worrying, it may just be slow starting.

I'm not a kit guy, but does it have skins or solids in it? Pictures look a bit odd. The later does show some increase over first. Not all fermentations foam like crazy.

Anyway, you could press it down or stir it gently. If it gives off bubbles, it is working.

Have you stirred it yet, my first batch I made I didn't stir, and liked to kill the yeast.

I would pitch in anoter yeast. I use 1118 and it works great. Hydtrate the yeast in a 250ml of warm water and after 20 minutes add it to the must. I had one kit where the yeast was slow and I added another pack this way and it go it going. I always like to start the yeast before adding it to my must now.

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

When I did my SG reading I gave it a gentle stir and it has noticeably more active bubbles now. Johny, the kit has a considerable amount of oak chips in it which is likely contributing to the solid look, I also went up and gave is a better gentle stir with a sanitized spoon and it gave off alot of bubbles with just a gentle stir so I have high hopes it is actually working, maybe the agitation helped. I will inspect it in the morning and go from there.

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

When I did my SG reading I gave it a gentle stir and it has noticeably more active bubbles now. Johny, the kit has a considerable amount of oak chips in it which is likely contributing to the solid look, I also went up and gave is a better gentle stir with a sanitized spoon and it gave off alot of bubbles with just a gentle stir so I have high hopes it is actually working, maybe the agitation helped. I will inspect it in the morning and go from there.

Be patient, 40 hours is not time to worry.

Your picture looks perfectly normal for a kit and where you are in the fermentation process. Stir daily and proceed per the instructions.

Hi LJC - and welcome. There is always a lag time between pitching the yeast and the yeast after rehydrating being able to begin transporting the must through their cell walls. The yeast need first to acclimatize themselves to the acidity of the medium they are in and to the density of the must. and indeed, to the temperature of the liquid (I assume you stored the yeast in a fridge and the must is several degrees warmer). Not certain but they also need to begin producing the enzymes they need to begin converting the sugars in the must too - and I believe that they will be spending a great deal of this lag time simply repairing cell material and reproducing. There's a great deal going on and all this can take several days. It's nothing to be anxious about.

Sit back and relax, everything is fine with your must. Yeast move at whatever speed they want to, and they cant see the calander from inside the bucket. They will be finished when they are finished, and not a bit sooner.

Thanks everyone!

I was paranoid since it was my first kit and couldn't tell what I should expect by day 2-3 and did not want to stray from the instructions as it said not to stir, but after everyone's advice and a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon and the fermentation is extremely active this morning, has a 2" foam on top with ALOT of bubbling, almost like a can of coke fizzing away.

I am sure you will hear from me again soon when I run into my next problem :h

Thanks everyone!

I was paranoid since it was my first kit and couldn't tell what I should expect by day 2-3 and did not want to stray from the instructions as it said not to stir, but after everyone's advice and a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon and the fermentation is extremely active this morning, has a 2" foam on top with ALOT of bubbling, almost like a can of coke fizzing away.

I am sure you will hear from me again soon when I run into my next problem :h

The time frames in the instructions are only for reference during fermentation. Follow your progress with the hydrometer and perform your operations based upon the readings.

Latest posts

Back