Help what the heck is this on my vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it soft tissue or is it kind of spongy?
It's soft, and white, it was coming out of the ground naturally when watering earlier this year. So I thought it was mychorrizae that somehow colonized the stem.

Do you live in a humid climate?
Not really, it's pretty dry. We do get fog moisture but no not usually a lot of humidity. here where i am in california is 35% humidity today.

Last edited:
That's really weird I would think fungus but it needs to be real wet for a duration. Whack it off and see what it's doing to the vine. It may be a bug.

That's really weird I would think fungus but it needs to be real wet for a duration. Whack it off and see what it's doing to the vine. It may be a bug.
We removed it and it didnt appear to do anything the wood under it was normal, we went ahead and sprayed a light coat of Neem oil mix on it just in case.

Good call... I come from a more humid area.. we see weird shit like that all the time 90 % of time it's related to bad grafting and the formation of crown gall, or just the formation of a fungus growing on the Wood. You learn a lot of tricks to treat them. If you're really concerned at all you can use a 1 % solution of potassium metabisulfite and that will kill anything and keep the area free of pest for a long time.

Good call... I come from a more humid area.. we see weird shit like that all the time 90 % of time it's related to bad grafting and the formation of crown gall, or just the formation of a fungus growing on the Wood. You learn a lot of tricks to treat them. If you're really concerned at all you can use a 1 % solution of potassium metabisulfite and that will kill anything and keep the area free of pest for a long time.
I was terrified that it was something bad that could spread to other plants.

Latest posts

Back