HELP! WE Oak Granular and Chips But No Cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ybl84f1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping folks can chime in quickly as I am starting fermentation today.

I'm starting the WineExpert Australia Chardonnay and included in the kit is both Oak Granular as well as Oak Chips. The directions say "If your kit contains Oak Chips OR Granular Oak, stir in now" for primary fermentation. It goes on to say "If your kit contains Oak Cubes, they will be added at a later stage."

It's the "or" that's throwing me for a loop since I have both in the kit. Since I do not have Oak Cubes, does this imply I add BOTH the Oak Granular and Oak Chips during fermentation and nothing during Clearing (which is when you would normally add cubes)? Or do they really mean add one of them now and the other during Clearing (and if so, which one?). The directions are ambiguous since I have both Granular and Chips and the directions say I should have one or the other.

The last WE red I made had both Oak Chips and Oak Cubes and the directions were clear about adding the Chips during fermentation, and Cubes during the clearing phase.

Thanks ahead of time.

Hi,

Hoping folks can chime in quickly as I am starting fermentation today.

I'm starting the WineExpert Australia Chardonnay and included in the kit is both Oak Granular as well as Oak Chips. The directions say "If your kit contains Oak Chips OR Granular Oak, stir in now" for primary fermentation. It goes on to say "If your kit contains Oak Cubes, they will be added at a later stage."

It's the "or" that's throwing me for a loop since I have both in the kit. Since I do not have Oak Cubes, does this imply I add BOTH the Oak Granular and Oak Chips during fermentation and nothing during Clearing (which is when you would normally add cubes)? Or do they really mean add one of them now and the other during Clearing (and if so, which one?). The directions are ambiguous since I have both Granular and Chips and the directions say I should have one or the other.

The last WE red I made had both Oak Chips and Oak Cubes and the directions were clear about adding the Chips during fermentation, and Cubes during the clearing phase.

Thanks ahead of time.
In the kits I’ve done that have had oak dust and chips, I’ve always used them in fermentation. If you have no cubes, then it’s not meant to oak later, I’d add both in primary. If you want more oak flavor down the road, you can easily buy some cubes to drop in during aging.

In the kits I’ve done that have had oak dust and chips, I’ve always used them in fermentation. If you have no cubes, then it’s not meant to oak later, I’d add both in primary. If you want more oak flavor down the road, you can easily buy some cubes to drop in during aging.

Thanks - that's kinda what I thought but appreciate the quick confirmation just in the nick of time... :)

Latest posts

Back