HELP!- Watermelon Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert10

Home Wine Maker from NY
Reaction score
Hi Team!
I am trying to make my first batch of watermelon wine. The fermentation has slowed down but not completed and the liquid has a very thick and fibrous texture. Is this normal? Should I add water? I would appreciate any recommendations.
Regards,
Robert
Beginner winemaker from the Finger Lake Region, NY

I have never made watermellon wine but I have heard some horror storries. Maybe post your whole recipie along with every event sourounding your wine up untill this point. This will help us figuar out whats going on.
For now I can recomend keeping it just warm enough for the yeast to work (the cooler the beter to aid against spolige) and maybe adding some energizer and nuteriant.

Robert10 said:
Hi Team! I am trying to make my first batch of watermelon wine. The fermentation has slowed down but not completed and the liquid has a very thick and fibrous texture. Is this normal? Should I add water? I would appreciate any recommendations. Regards, Robert Beginner winemaker from the Finger Lake Region, NY

Let fermentation finish. Once it stops all the suspended solids will sink to the bottom.

I made this as one of my first batches because I had a good batch of watermelons that year. It has to be chilled or it will spoil, in my experience. Don't even try to taste it. Smell it first! Just a warning, it was that bad!

Have to agree with Midwest. It was a tough one, didn't have to get too close for the nose to tell me it wasn't good. If this is your first try, I wish you good luck with it. If it doesn't work out, don't give up. Many other fruits are much easier to work with. I believe mine went bad because the melons were not that good. They were fresh, but the juice had a bit of the oder that it came out with strong later on in the ferment. It was also really hot and I think the juice might of just spoiled before the ferment could stabalize it. Arne.

Latest posts

Back