WineXpert Help tweaking a Rosé kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swedeman

Reaction score
I need some help with tweaking a kit, I have been given a WE Selection California White Zinfandel kit. Went to the store and bought my first bottle of white Zinfandel to see what's an off dry Rosé like this tastes like. Oh man, that was something far too sweet for me. It had little resemblance of the type of Rosé that I like; pale, dry, acid with a berry flavor (Provence style) rather than the sweet, less acid Rosé that I bought in the store. The latter had a strong fruit flavor. I couldn't find any dry white Zinfandel in the store so can't say what that tastes like.

I wish I could switch the must to another one but since that not possible, I have to play with cards I have. The obvious thing is to add, maybe a quarter or even half the F-pack on day 1 and ferment it dry. And maybe add some of it, if ever so slightly, according to the instruction if the balance is thrown off. The F-pack has not only sugar but also juice so I assume it adds flavor and maybe color. (I wouldn't be surprised if the F-pack is a 65 brix juice concentrate.)

Any suggestions?

Yes, adding a goodly fraction of the f-pack to primary is a fine idea; as you are intimating, it is a good way to retain the flavor, but reduce the sweetness.

Agree. Add half the f-pack to the primary. Then when adding it to finish, do it in small steps until you get it to your liking.

Agree with all of the above. Once I start back sweetening with the leftover f-pack, I aim low (say SG 1.000 to start) and let it mix for a day or so, chill a sample and taste (usually have my wife taste it). If it needs more sweetness, bump it up .002 or so, wait a few days, taste. Repeat until you are just a hair less sweet than you want and call it quits. It always seems to bump up a tad in the bottle of some reason. Lately we have settled on 1.005 or slightly lower (a little sweet for me, a little short of sweetness for her) and we both seem to be able to enjoy the wine.

Latest posts

Back