Help Strawberry wine bubbling again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kim

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All
Im afraid its me again with another problem, I have made strawberry wine to this recipe

3lb strawberries
2lb sugar
juice 2 lemons
5 pints water which i used RO
1tsp nutrient
yeast 1 pack
1 camped tab
pectolase
1/4 tsp pot sorbet

I followed instruction to point of wine being nice and clear, i then added pot sorbet and 1 campden tab and sweetened to taste with 200ml water and 4tsp sugar, i put it into a clean demi john and three days later its bubbling at 6 bubbles a minute.
Has it started fermenting again?
Have i spoilt it?
what should i do now?

So disappointed really thought it was going well
Thank you in advance for any help

Kim x

Hi Kim,
No, you probably have not spoiled it.

Yes, it's probably started fermentation again.

If you don't want to add more campden (sulphites) or potassium sorbate (a yeast killing preservative), you can heat the wine to about 150 degrees for 10 minutes. This will kill any remaining yeast but may also degas some of the low temp volatile gasses.

How old is it. Do you have sg numbers. What yeast. What temperatures.
I agree its it's probably fine but what is happening here? If you had bottled after sweetening this thread would be about bottle bombs. And you are going to need to sweeten again.

Hi Keith

Thank you for your reply, i will try and answer all of the questions.
I started it on the 19/6/18
SG before sweetening was 988
It was kept at a temperature between 18-25C
Thank goodness i didn't bottle it, i have since degassed and bubbling has now ceased.
What do i need to do now?
thanks again.
kim

Leave it for another week. Degas again, if it seems fizzy wait another week.
If not i would treat again. The directions on the package of k sorbate i have calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon if back sweetening . So treat the same as you did all ready,
I like to wait a week before adding sugar. If sediment is still showing on the bottom of your car boy wait longer. If its falling out in your carboy it will fall out in your bottles.
Your wine is still very young. You will notice i use the word wait a lot. I learned this in my journey. I probably would have waited 6 months to sweeten, not that you need to but ive seen the improvements age can bring. And i dont like mud in my bottles. The sugar you added will only boost your abv a bit, nothing to worry about. Take a few deep cleansing breaths and stay the coarse.
With a couple exceptions, I cant imagine a wine taking less than three months to finnish.

Hi thank you again and yes you have definitely have my number waiting is something i am really trying to get better at.
I will wait for a couple more weeks before i even look again and do what you have suggested.
I have bottle my very first wine this weekend and it was elderflower and i am so pleased with it, its clear and looks really nice and most importantly it already tastes good enough to drink, how long is best to leave it?
I have one other question if thats ok,
My shopping delivery has just arrived and i ordered 100% grape juice but what came was the reduced sugar for both the white and purple grape juice.
Purple ingredients are: water, grape juice from concentrate 25%, sugar, citric acid, vitamin c, flavouring, sucralose.
white ingredients are: water, concentrate juice, grape 12% pear 5% apple 3% sugar, malic acid, vit c, sucralose.
any suggestions would be great
kim x

my elderflower

Attachments

• CDCIM101MEDIADXO_0252.JPG
    CDCIM101MEDIADXO_0252.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back