HELP- Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaniels9

Junior
Reaction score
Hey, this is my first wine kit. I made sure to buy a cheap one in case I messed it up. I think it is still fine. I topped off my carboy up to about 2 inches from the cork as soon as I transferred it from the primary.

it has been in there for 3 days now and I just noticed that the glass at the top is not clear. It looks like a window that needs to be cleaned. I am pretty sure that it is just the gasses making the glass unclear.

I guess my question is should the glass at the top of the carboy be crystal clear or is it normal for it to get foggy?

The glass on carboys are not terribly "perfect" by any stretch. The foggy look could just be refraction of light. If your wine looks ok, then I wouldn't worry about it.

What kit are you making?

Its called "prestige" I got it from Superstore (In Canada). It was $43.99.

I don't really know if they wine looks fine. haha. It certainly has not started to clear or anything.

Another question: I was reading about people using a drill to stir when mixing concentrate and betonite. I just used a spoon, I only stirred for 10-20seconds. Should I be stirring more? I have another kit in the primary now- 2days- should I go give it a stir?

Another question: I was reading about people using a drill to stir when mixing concentrate and betonite. I just used a spoon, I only stirred for 10-20seconds. Should I be stirring more? I have another kit in the primary now- 2days- should I go give it a stir?

The drill attachment (Mix-Stir) you're referring to is mainly used to degas the wine. Simple stirring with a spoon is enough to mix the bentonite and wine. I like to stir my wine about 3 times per day while in the primary to keep the yeast, nutrients, bentonite and lees in suspension. After the wine has finished fermenting and racked from the secondary, I degas thoroughly and then stop stirring so that the lees and any other sediment can precipitate and settle to the bottom.

That's how I do it.

Fred

usually kits don't direct to stir. I just let mine sit and do their job.

When introducing the Bentonite in the first step you should give it a real good stir just to keep it from clumping....

you sound like you are a typical first timer....we worry about all the little stuff. You're probably absolutely fine. Just remember to keep things sanitized any time you introduce them to the wine (spoons and siphons and such).

jdaniels9 did you put a solid cork or an airlock in the carboy ?

Over the years I have learned that sometimes you just have to be patient. Walk away and let her be.
Having said that, I have never used kits.
Could the stuff at the top be dried bentonite residue?

Leanne,

I'd say probably not dried residue as it does mix in pretty well if done correctly, plus the primary puts the whole must into motion mixing even further, then racking to secondary would mix it even further.

Latest posts

Back