RJ Spagnols HELP RJS clear bag with sirup???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matsgone

Junior
Reaction score
Good day.

I started a RJS en primeur Sauvignon blanc which came with a clear pouch with a yellow sirupy substance in it, about1.5 cup I'd say. There is absolutely no explanaitions on it that would explain what it is... is it the finishing agent that needs to be added just before leaving in the carboy forever before bottling? I assume it is sugar to add sweetness to the wine??? My RJS Meritage red wine also has the same without any marking on it?

Any ideas?

I’m sure others would agree, but I’m surprised you’re getting a flavor pack provided in a kit like this. What exactly is the kit? Sauv Blanc is not typically finished off-dry. I can’t find any kits on the website that matches your initial description.

Both kist have it:

RJS En primeur Sauvignon Blanc
RJS Cru international Meritage Red

I just called the store where I bought them from, the lady said she just started two of those kits herself and never got those either....she will call them and inquire....

Ok it is a mistake......in both kits....humm....beware.......or else pay the price of sweet wine...or 20% ABV if added with the must :)

I received a small sweetener pack in my RJS Cru international Meritage Red. I believe I had read in a description and from some reviews that it was to include this. Some used it while others chose not to.
I've not tried the RJS En Primeur Sauvignon Blanc so can't comment on that.

I received a small sweetener pack in my RJS Cru international Meritage Red. I believe I had read in a description and from some reviews that it was to include this. Some used it while others chose not to.
I've not tried the RJS En Primeur Sauvignon Blanc so can't comment on
I just called the store where I bought them from, the lady said she just started two of those kits herself and never got those either....she will call them and inquire....

Ok it is a mistake......in both kits....humm....beware.......or else pay the price of sweet wine...or 20% ABV if added with the must :)
Hey its no mistake I just received an email from the lady at RJS and both of my kits : EN PRIMEUR TRIO WHITE (not sauvignon blanc) AND MERITAGE RED are indeed supposed to have the sweetener blend according to RJS.

Anyone NOT using them?? I am not a huge fan of sweet wine but maybe diluted in 23 litres it wont be too bad....?

Anyone NOT using them?? I am not a huge fan of sweet wine but maybe diluted in 23 litres it wont be too bad....?
Kits (from reputable vendors) designed for backsweetening probably have a higher acid level to balance the sugar. Without some backsweetening, it's possible they may be too acidic.

However, this is totally your call. You can finish either wine bone dry, add some of the sugar pack, or all of it. Backsweetening is to taste, not an all-or-nothing proposition.

My son's FWK Riesling includes a sweetening pack. He prefers dry Riesling and intended to bottle dry, but I suggested that we bench test (we bottle next month). We'll pour 3 half glasses and add 1, 2, and 3 ml syrup to each (or something like that), and taste test against bone dry. His taste and mine is bone dry, but IME some wines benefit from a bit of backsweetening.

For your kits, an off-dry wine may work out well. Taste testing will let you decide.

BTW -- when backsweetening, if you think the wine needs just a bit more, stop. The wine probably doesn't, and once you've added sugar, it's really hard to take it out. ;)

Kits (from reputable vendors) designed for backsweetening probably have a higher acid level to balance the sugar. Without some backsweetening, it's possible they may be too acidic.

However, this is totally your call. You can finish either wine bone dry, add some of the sugar pack, or all of it. Backsweetening is to taste, not an all-or-nothing proposition.

My son's FWK Riesling includes a sweetening pack. He prefers dry Riesling and intended to bottle dry, but I suggested that we bench test (we bottle next month). We'll pour 3 half glasses and add 1, 2, and 3 ml syrup to each (or something like that), and taste test against bone dry. His taste and mine is bone dry, but IME some wines benefit from a bit of backsweetening.

For your kits, an off-dry wine may work out well. Taste testing will let you decide.

BTW -- when backsweetening, if you think the wine needs just a bit more, stop. The wine probably doesn't, and once you've added sugar, it's really hard to take it out. ;)
Thanks a lot, I will do just that!

Latest posts

Back