Help Please: How do you let wine age?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first batch of wine while I was deployed to Ar Ramadi in 2005. Depends how big the post is where you're at as far as what you can get away with. Well that and how heavy the collars are.

Definitely agree on that. Only at this for 2 years now I've made a few mistakes in letting people taste test wine very early on and giving away and serving wine before it aged properly.

I only have 1 neighbor that turns up her nose at my wine. All others love it and appreciate it. Giving away wine has been a blessing for me. All sorts of unexpected dinners, snow plowing, help in cutting firewood, etc comes my way.

I only have 1 neighbor that turns up her nose at my wine. All others love it and appreciate it. Giving away wine has been a blessing for me. All sorts of unexpected dinners, snow plowing, help in cutting firewood, etc comes my way.

I give away most of my wine - but ONLY after it's aged properly now. "New" immature wines rarely impress anyone. (I'm now retired) I give to former co-workers including my old boss who is always ready to accept another bottle. Friends and even a couple of plumbers who worked on a stubborn drain for me. I just don't want to be remembered as the guy who gave away un-remarkable wine. When my old boss walks up and tells me - Hey, that bottle of wine you gave me....... It died a sudden death uncorked and vanished in a few minutes. You have any more?

Last edited:
I give away most of my wine - but ONLY after it's aged properly now. "New" immature wines rarely impress anyone. (I'm now retired) I give to former co-workers including my old boss who is always ready to accept another bottle. Friends and even a couple of plumbers who worked on a stubborn drain for me. I just don't want to be remembered as the guy who gave away un-remarkable wine. When my old boss walks up and tells me - Hey, that bottle of wine you gave me....... It died a sudden death uncorked and vanished in a few minutes. You have any more?

Free wine should be accepted with earnest gratitude. If someone don't like, then fine, no more for she/he.

My one neighbor that is not getting anymore is a bit of a snob and is a regular subscriber to NakedWines.com. I tried them out once during a wonderful first time promo, and found the wine to be good. A second order was going to be expensive so I opted out, thinking my wine was nearly as good and in some cases better. At my cost of 30c a bottle, their >$6 bottle had better blow my hair back and then some. It doesn't.

Free wine should be accepted with earnest gratitude. If someone don't like, then fine, no more for she/he.

My one neighbor that is not getting anymore is a bit of a snob and is a regular subscriber to NakedWines.com. I tried them out once during a wonderful first time promo, and found the wine to be good. A second order was going to be expensive so I opted out, thinking my wine was nearly as good and in some cases better. At my cost of 30c a bottle, their >$6 bottle had better blow my hair back and then some. It doesn't.

30 cents a bottle???

Damn. I’ve been shopping around for empty bottles and the best price I can find is $1.25.

Damn. I’ve been shopping around for empty bottles and the best price I can find is $1.25.

Neighbors! Also restaurants, and even recycling sites. Over time, I have developed a liking for different bottle shapes and discard the ones I don't like.

Latest posts

Back