HELP!! Pineapple Wine has bad fermentation smell!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

crazyman2099

Forum Newbie
Group: Forum Members
Active: Today @ 1:49 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I recently just started a batch of Pineapple wine two days ago and it has started to ferment heavily but also put off this "off" smell as well.

I tried to make a batch of watermelon wine that went bad, and the smell I am getting from this pineapple wine is the same as when the watermelon that spoiled.

The problem is that the batch is only two days old. I sanitized everything thoroughly, used canned pineapple with chunks, canned pineapple juice, some grape juice, and 5.5 lbs sugar to make around 5 gallons of wine. I added a tablespoon of acid blend, a little potasium metabisulfate, and used pectin. Can I save this batch?

Also, for the water melon wine I also added acid blend, can this be the problem because all my other batches I did not use it.

I am open to any suggestions that can this wine because it smelled so good when I started it but now smells so bad!

Acid blend (unless it has somehow gone bad) should not cause a "bad" wine.

Questions:

1) what yeast did you use?
2) what is the temperature of the room where the wine is?
3) Can you better describe the "bad" smell?

I haven't made a lot of fruit wines (and never pineapple or watermelon), but some white wine kits have a "funky" smell for the first 2-3 weeks. Then everything is OK.

Steve

Acid blend (unless it has somehow gone bad) should not cause a "bad" wine.

Questions:

1) what yeast did you use?
2) what is the temperature of the room where the wine is?
3) Can you better describe the "bad" smell?

I haven't made a lot of fruit wines (and never pineapple or watermelon), but some white wine kits have a "funky" smell for the first 2-3 weeks. Then everything is OK.

Steve

1.) I used Montrachet yeast
2.) It is in my kitchen so the temperature is from 62-68 Fahrenheit.
3.) It has a hint of sulfur, but is mostly a pungent bitter smell with no hint of sweetness, makes you gag when you smell it.

This is my fourth fruit wine batch, all were 5 gal. The first was Blackberry, strawberry, blueberry and it turned out fine. The second was watermelon, and it spoiled. The third is wild muscadine and it is fine. This is the fourth and is already smelling like my watermelon wine, and I had high hopes for this, so I would love to be able to save it.

I have never used Montrachet, so we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgable.

Steve

Latest posts

Back