Help on Sodium bisulfate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamidreza

Junior
Reaction score
im making pomegranate wine
i have poured the red beautiful juice in a bottle and did all calculation of TA test and sugar so i added necessary water and sugar to it then i add sodium bisulfate for sterilization purpose before adding yeast but it completely changed the color of the juice to a cloudy light pink its been 10 hours now no change.
last year i did exactly the same method but no color change occured . is it something wrong here? please help

im making pomegranate wine
i have poured the red beautiful juice in a bottle and did all calculation of TA test and sugar so i added necessary water and sugar to it then i add sodium bisulfate for sterilization purpose before adding yeast but it completely changed the color of the juice to a cloudy light pink its been 10 hours now no change.
last year i did exactly the same method but no color change occured . is it something wrong here? please help
That's odd, it has never changed the color of my wine before but I think it's okay provided you used the correct dosage.

i added 1 gr of sodium bisulfate to 8 lit of Must
what should i do if i added too much sulfate? should i throw the must out?

Last edited:
i added 1 gr of sodium bisulfate to 8 lit of Must
what should i do if i added too much sulfate? should i throw the must out?

I assume that you mean Sodium Metabisulfite, in which case, you shouldn't be using that for wine, it's fine for sanitizing, but in your wine you should be using Potassium Metabisulfite. Sodium Meta is purported to impart off tastes into the wine.

In any case, your sulfite level is around 125 PPM, way higher than it should be. Some amount of exposure to oxygen through splash racking will reduce the free SO2 in your wine, I have no idea how much splash racking it may take.

Latest posts

Back