Help Needed with Timing of Netting Installation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisvt

Pomfret, VT
Reaction score
Veraison started on our Marquettes last week and I have our netting ready to go.

Any advice about when I should install it?

This is our first year with a harvest, so I'm a bit in the dark about timing. I don't want to install it too soon because of the potential for late seasons sprays, but certainly don't want to wait too long.

How does everyone else handle this? Should I wait for a certain brix level?

You better get it on asap or you may lose them. I think the birds begin to find them as soon as they show some color.

It can be a juggling act for timing. Like you over here on the other side of the lake the Marquette and others are turning. I had applied what I wanted as my last cover spray before netting last week, but then we got a boatload of rain the next couple days. I have held off with the netting figuring I need to reapply the spray soon. If you use a tractor for spraying and netting application it is hard to spray after the nets are on. You are playing a dice roll at this point (as am I). Good luck Chris.

This is the 2nd year in a row that the Robins have moved on and I have zero pressure. My Marquette looks to be about 3/4 of the way done and my Corot Noir and Noiret are still almost completely green. I have the nets ready to go and I inspect about 5 times a day but so far not a single predator so I continue to watch closely and clean bottles so I can bottle my 2013 wines before the 2015's show up in a few weeks!

You have to be ready to go at a moments notice where ever you are and of course it also depends on the size of your operation and how long it will take. I will be netting by this weekend either way!

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Our vineyard is relatively small - about 230 vines total, 100 of which are Marquette.

Rich - very similar situation here. I sprayed last Saturday and while we somehow dodged the rain that you saw, the forecast is predicting possible heavy rain for Thursday night. No sign of any damage yet, but the birds got the berries on our old Concord vines a few years back, so I know they're lurking.

I put my nets up at first sign of veraison and spray through it. Most have been up since mid July. I only have 1/4 acre w/135 vines so I use a backpack sprayer. I also just cover the fruit zone with netting which might make is easier to spray through.

Thanks, Berl. I use a backpack sprayer as well and it's helpful to know that you've been able to spray successfully with the nets installed.

I checked with a few commericial Vermont vineyards. Shelburne Vineyards doesn't use bird netting on their Marquette grapes and said that Lincoln Peak vineyard doesn't, either. Fresh Tracks Vineyard does, but doesn't install it until the 1st or 2nd week of September.

My nets have been up for three weeks - because we got veraison early. But, then again, I don't spray. But a week ago we left and had a huge wind storm. It created openings while we were gone and the birds started in. Not much but I had to re-close all the netting to insure they couldn't get in. I've only 40 vines so every berry counts!

Mine are netted now. Mr. Robin showed up yesterday. Just one. I spoiled all his fun yesterday evening.

Latest posts

Back