Help needed for clearing pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
Good evening wine makers

I hope someone can give me some ideas on this conundrum.

A little history:
Pears were frozen from fall of 2016 then thawed and pressed with a bladder press April 2017 juice was clear initially
Adjustments made to must with acid addition and usual treatments.. k meta etc.

Moving along .. with regular rackings and and juice was kind of flat after 2-3 months in secondary.
Pineapple concentrate added and fresh pineapple chunks to carboy
then run through all in one pump with filter after a week on fresh fruit
Very cloudy and hazy must even after filtering. Pectin I guess?
So ..
Clearing agents added as follows

10/22 superkleer: some sediment On bottom. Racked to clean carboy

11/05 sparkalloid. Again some sediment. Wine a little more clear ... racked again

11/12. Pectic enzyme. Again more clear than before but not that pretty crystal clear.

Questions are
1) do I dare try more clearing agents. Bentonite?
2) when trying more than one clearing agent is best to rack off any sediment before adding the new agent ? It seems this would be best but maybe not.. local wine store guy said the sediment should be stirred up from bottom and into wine when adding superkleer.

I also I have isinglass on hand....

Thanks for any advice. Wine still tastes good so at least I have that.
Brigitte

Do you have a fridge or freezer that trou could stick it in? I'm not sure I'd feel safe adding anything else chemical to it. If yu have access to a fridge stick it in their for about 7 to 10 days. If not then sticking in a freezer overnight and set out to thaw.

And yes always rack off the existing sediment before adding another one.

Do you have a fridge or freezer that trou could stick it in? I'm not sure I'd feel safe adding anything else chemical to it. If yu have access to a fridge stick it in their for about 7 to 10 days. If not then sticking in a freezer overnight and set out to thaw.

And yes always rack off the existing sediment before adding another one.

Dralarms
Wow what a fast reply! Thank you!!!
It was put in fridge for a couple of weeks before I added and clearing agents. But has not been put back in. And I actually do have freezer space now.

Would this still be a good idea even after having it in fridge earlier ?

Ok, warm them up to 65 to 75 Fahrenheit, add 3 tablespoons of pectic enzyme each and stir well, let sit 24 hrs at 65 to 75 and then into the fridge to cold crash for 10 days. Pear is finicky. I think that will help to clear it out. Pectic enzyme is the one thing you can add without changing the flavor or adding any unwanted chemicals.

Ok, warm them up to 65 to 75 Fahrenheit, add 3 tablespoons of pectic enzyme each and stir well, let sit 24 hrs at 65 to 75 and then into the fridge to cold crash for 10 days. Pear is finicky. I think that will help to clear it out. Pectic enzyme is the one thing you can add without changing the flavor or adding any unwanted chemicals.

Ok! Thanks. I will give this a shot.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it !

You're welcome

One more question if you have time... since the wine is sitting on a little sediment now from the pectic enzyme about a week ago should I rack off of it or can I stir it in with the addition of more pectic enzyme. I feel like I have racked a lot. Which probably isn’t great to do either.

Brigitte I hope you get this cleared up. I had a peptic haze that I was never able to get rid of in a watermelon wine I made good luck

Brigitte I hope you get this cleared up. I had a peptic haze that I was never able to get rid of in a watermelon wine I made good luck

Thanks Jasper !! I have not had to deal with it until now. And I could bottle it and it isn’t horrible ... but I want to try one more time. Going to work with it tomorrow

IMG_0447.JPG I had the same problem with six gallons of Peach/ Chardonnay. The pectic enzyme did the trick for it. I added a double dose of pectic enzyme and the very next day it cleared. I sampled the wine with no off tastes. give it some time and it may clear out, but like dralarms said, pectic enzyme is something that doesn't change the flavor. I think it drops with the lees.

View attachment 44815 I had the same problem with six gallons of Peach/ Chardonnay. The pectic enzyme did the trick for it. I added a double dose of pectic enzyme and the very next day it cleared. I sampled the wine with no off tastes. give it some time and it may clear out, but like dralarms said, pectic enzyme is something that doesn't change the flavor. I think it drops with the lees.

Donatelo - Thanks for the input ! I added pectic enzyme today. 3 tablespoons per each 6 gallon carboy at about 72 degrees temp. Then set big outside on porch in 32 degree temp, supposed to be cold here for a couple of days. Hoping tomorrow morning I will find a nice clear wine!!!

Just an update. The pear wine cleared and tastes wonderful! It had been sitting in my bulk aging room and one day I looked over at it and it was sparkling clear. We tasted it a couple days ago. So very glad I didn’t toss this one!

Ha! Good memories. My first non kit wine was a pear. A friend gave me a box and a half of pears that were ripe to overripe. I barely had a clue. I ended up with 5 gallons of pear vinegar. Made lovely Christmas gifts.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back