HELP! Need venison recipes!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to the wine game, but an old hat at venison. I've accumulated all the toys over the years and have made about everything there is to make, I imagine.

Can you share what you have at your disposal for equipment? I would be happy to share some recipes based on that. Grinder? Stuffer? Smoker? If not, no worries--it just opens up a lot more doors. If we are talking just how to manipulate whole muscle recipes, I can chime in there, too.

RANT WARNING ON MEAT TREATMENT: Bar none, and this is me being overly snooty, mind you--the best recipe can't cover for improper slaughter (and I am in NO WAY implying that is the case for anyone posting here!). I have changed a lot minds over the years for folks who claimed they don’t like venison. I am lucky enough to live and hunt in Northern Minnesota, and our primary season is in November, so getting and keeping the meat cold is easier here than it is for our friends down south as our temps fluctuate between 0 F and 30 F most of the season, but it’s no less important no matter where you live. Get the guts out ASAP, get the hide off ASAP, get the meat cooled down ASAP. If it’s too warm to hang, quarter it down and pack it in the fridge. Once completely cooled you can decide what to use right away and what to freeze. For quality later, I always wrap in cellophane, tightly, then in freezer paper. I find this approach preferable even to vacuum sealing. Freeze in as large of chunks as you can (that limits how much surface area is exposed to potential freezer burn/damage if you freeze things for more than a year). If you, for example, want to package two pounds of steak for a meal, instead of pre-cutting the steaks, keep the muscle whole, wrap, freeze, and then thaw/cut steaks before a planned meal.

The last, but arguably most important step, is draining. For sake of example, let’s say you are breaking down a muscle for steaks. Make your cuts (against the grain) into portion size pieces. Put those pieces in a colander/strainer, put that strainer over a bowl, cover the container with press n seal or foil (whatever you need to keep air out), then refrigerate overnight. The next day you will have dark, black blood in the bottom container that has drained off the meat. Now temper your stomachs, here, but I urge you at least once in your life to smell that blood. That nasty, foul, gamey run off was IN your meat. Now it’s not. That has made more of a difference to the flavor of venison for me than any salt, herb, or marinade ever could. Take the remaining steaks and blot them all with a paper towel to remove the rest. That seems trivial—I promise you it’s not!

I am sure some will preach the aging of venison for taste and tenderness, and I just won’t enter the ring for that fight anymore, and for a litany of reasons I won’t bother to extrapolate on--to each there own in that argument.

As for cooking/tenderness, it’s all a muscle game. For tender venison, you have two windows—medium rare, or braised until tender in a crock pot, roaster, etc. Both applications have merit, and I dictate the cooking method on the muscle I am using. I also love sausage making, and I marinade and grill a lot of kebobs and steaks, and think it’s such an awesome, versatile protein with nearly limitless applications. Ground meat alone could be it's own recipe thread.

Best of luck, and let’s keep the recipes flowing!

So much depends on processing. That is why I always process my own. I like to go very simple salt and pepper garlic. Never cook it well done. We had this meal couple weeks ago on top of cream spinach.4F0F9924-83B2-4E62-8624-E7428BC51AA9.jpeg

I am new to the wine game, but an old hat at venison. I've accumulated all the toys over the years and have made about everything there is to make, I imagine.

Can you share what you have at your disposal for equipment? I would be happy to share some recipes based on that. Grinder? Stuffer? Smoker? If not, no worries--it just opens up a lot more doors. If we are talking just how to manipulate whole muscle recipes, I can chime in there, too.

RANT WARNING ON MEAT TREATMENT: Bar none, and this is me being overly snooty, mind you--the best recipe can't cover for improper slaughter (and I am in NO WAY implying that is the case for anyone posting here!). I have changed a lot minds over the years for folks who claimed they don’t like venison. I am lucky enough to live and hunt in Northern Minnesota, and our primary season is in November, so getting and keeping the meat cold is easier here than it is for our friends down south as our temps fluctuate between 0 F and 30 F most of the season, but it’s no less important no matter where you live. Get the guts out ASAP, get the hide off ASAP, get the meat cooled down ASAP. If it’s too warm to hang, quarter it down and pack it in the fridge. Once completely cooled you can decide what to use right away and what to freeze. For quality later, I always wrap in cellophane, tightly, then in freezer paper. I find this approach preferable even to vacuum sealing. Freeze in as large of chunks as you can (that limits how much surface area is exposed to potential freezer burn/damage if you freeze things for more than a year). If you, for example, want to package two pounds of steak for a meal, instead of pre-cutting the steaks, keep the muscle whole, wrap, freeze, and then thaw/cut steaks before a planned meal.

The last, but arguably most important step, is draining. For sake of example, let’s say you are breaking down a muscle for steaks. Make your cuts (against the grain) into portion size pieces. Put those pieces in a colander/strainer, put that strainer over a bowl, cover the container with press n seal or foil (whatever you need to keep air out), then refrigerate overnight. The next day you will have dark, black blood in the bottom container that has drained off the meat. Now temper your stomachs, here, but I urge you at least once in your life to smell that blood. That nasty, foul, gamey run off was IN your meat. Now it’s not. That has made more of a difference to the flavor of venison for me than any salt, herb, or marinade ever could. Take the remaining steaks and blot them all with a paper towel to remove the rest. That seems trivial—I promise you it’s not!

I am sure some will preach the aging of venison for taste and tenderness, and I just won’t enter the ring for that fight anymore, and for a litany of reasons I won’t bother to extrapolate on--to each there own in that argument.

As for cooking/tenderness, it’s all a muscle game. For tender venison, you have two windows—medium rare, or braised until tender in a crock pot, roaster, etc. Both applications have merit, and I dictate the cooking method on the muscle I am using. I also love sausage making, and I marinade and grill a lot of kebobs and steaks, and think it’s such an awesome, versatile protein with nearly limitless applications. Ground meat alone could be it's own recipe thread.

All well said. Completely agree. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

One I got from another guy...

Indian Butter Venison (Makhani)

2-4 pounds beef/venison roast
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 - 2 teaspoon chili powder (optional, or to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 cloves garlic , minced
6 - 8 oz cup tomato paste
4 tablespoon butter
2 cups beef broth
4 carrots , peeled and cut into 2" chunks
1 onion, chopped
15 ounces canned chickpeas , drained and rinsed
3/4 cup peas , thawed
1 cup heavy cream or Yogurt
1 1/2 cups water or broth
1 tablespoon flower
Extra flour for roast and thickening
Corn starch to thicken

Directions:
  • Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
  • Season, coat in flour and sear venison as usual in a large skillet. Set aside.
  • Saute onions and garlic in skillet pan
  • Toast spices for more flavor, if desired
  • Add all ingredients except heavy cream/yogurt, peas, and beef to crockpot. Stir to combine.
  • Place beef/venison in a slow cooker and cover with a lid. Cook on low for 8+ hours.
  • Add extra flour or cornstarch 1 teaspoon at a time to thicken sauce, if desired
  • During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in peas and heavy cream/yogurt. Cover and continue cooking until hot
-----------
Other Options versions
-----------
4 pounds beef chuck roast
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic , minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika x
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth
4 carrots , peeled and cut into 2" chunks
15 ounces canned chickpeas , drained and rinsed
3/4 cup peas , thawed
1 cup heavy cream

I have two smokers (I'm a longtime meat smoker); a Weber charcoal grill; a gas grill; a grinder (though part of my venison comes to me double-ground); and a commercial quality dryer. Not interested in sausage making, so no stuffer.

Both hunters I have had brought me good meat. After killing many goats and rabbits myself, I know theses guys know how to kill suddenly and surely, and how to properly field dress. Both are critical in my view, as well as the processing. I have always been a stickler about all 3 when I've killed and butchered domesticated animals.

Both hunters are friends of mine. The first hunter had a great processor to do his meat. The guy who hunts my place now does his own. There's no problem with the venison and nothing to cover up, or I wouldn't have it. Though I have had some that was the pride and joy of some hunters and was so awful I spit out the first bite. And that has happened more than once.

Last edited:
I'm pretty novice when it comes to wine paring... any thoughts with Venison dishes? I suppose red with red meat but wondering if some of local non-typical wines that can often have a non-typical funk might be good... chamborcin or a dry fruit wine.

When my wife roasts a hind leg she completely wraps it in cheap, thinly cut bacon. The bacon fat keeps the roast moist and there is bonus crispy bacon to eat too! I try to limit myself to spikes & 1 year to 1.5 year old does. I always try for the head shot. The forelegs and lower hind legs end up in the pressure cooker for a nice osso buco. If we grind it is for linked sausages, mix it with pork and we use the fore shoulders. Otherwise the fore shoulders go in the pressure cooker for a tender roast, the juices make an excellent gravy.

Latest posts

Back