help!! MLF mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosher

Junior
Reaction score
I was adding my malolactic bacteria to my fermented wine and by mistake added some to my finished 3 gallon carboy of red wine ready to be bottled.Is this going to be a problem?If so does anyone have a solution.It has the correct amount of SO2.

I've never done MLF but I can't imagine it's a good thing if you added it to something you're ready to bottle. I'm guessing you aren't going or at least shouldn't be bottling it anytime soon.

We need a little more information first. Has the wine already gone thru mlf? If not what kind of red wine and can you give more info. on the wine like starting sg. thru finish sg. including everything that was done to the wine up to this point when the mistake happened. Unless the numbers are way off there shouldn't be too much to worry about other then more time in a carboy before you can bottle it. Red's should go thru mlf for stability sake and it should also help round out the wine unless like I said before the numbers were off on the wine to begin with.

Sulfites will not let MLF start so if your sulfite levels are good you should be fine. I would not bottle this for awhile and monitor it to make sure it doesnt start up. If it does you will want to buy this which probably wouldnt be a bad idea to use just in case anyway cause if you bottle it and the sulfite levels drop youll have fermentation in a bottle. The thing with sorbate and MLF is that you dont want a Malo lactic fermentation to be present with sorbate being present also as it causes a geranium taste and smell which will ruin your wine.
The link below is the stuff you should use to rectify this problem.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=7356A

Never heard of that Lysozome stuff before, does it have any negative side effects?

Not that I know, its only purpose I know of is to stop MLF in its tracks.

I was adding my malolactic bacteria to my fermented wine and by mistake added some to my finished 3 gallon carboy of red wine ready to be bottled.Is this going to be a problem?If so does anyone have a solution.It has the correct amount of SO2.

Was your finished 3 gallons of wine mlfed?If so i would not worry because there should be no more malatic acid in your wine.Also as Wade said if your sulfites are good you shouldnt panic and do not bottle untill you know your safe.

Thank you everyone,the wine did go thru mlf already, My sulfite levels are around 35ppm free.I will look into the lysozome but will it also change the flavor or should I just wait and see if MLF starts up

If it went through MLF already I wouldnt worry one bit then! Its already done what it could do.

Latest posts

Back