Help me identify my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhonda3542

Junior
Reaction score
I recently made some wine from grapes a friend gave me but they did not know what kind of grapes they were. They were slightly lighter in color than a typical concord grape and the raw fruit did not have a concord taste. To our surprise, after we made the wine, it did have a slight concord taste but the color of the wine was more of a rose' color. Does anyone have any idea what kind of grapes they were?

rhonda3542 said:
I recently made some wine from grapes a friend gave me but they did not know what kind of grapes they were. They were slightly lighter in color than a typical concord grape and the raw fruit did not have a concord taste. To our surprise, after we made the wine, it did have a slight concord taste but the color of the wine was more of a rose' color. Does anyone have any idea what kind of grapes they were?

Concord flavors vary by where they are grown and the weather of the growing season. Another grape it could be is Fredonia.

If you get the same grapes again take them to extension agent, they can typically identify things. But having some of the leaves help in identification also.

So do you like the wine you made or is it too early to tell?

not necessarily sure what grape, but the wine may have more of a rose color if you didn't ferment the "reddish" grapes on the skins for the first week....this is where a red wine gets it's color from....therefore, just based on the wine color at this point, it's hard to tell what variety they were either....

I'm with Rocky on Catawba if from a Concord area. They are very common there.

If from the South or in the muscadine varietal areas, I would vote Norton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_(grape)

"Muscadine varietal area" to me means the areas of the country where hardly any other grape will grow but muscadine.

Now down in Texas, that lil grape would maybe be a Mustang, another extreme Southern wild American variety.

I was given some of the same kind of grapes last fall. Don't know what they were, but they are making a nice wine. Mine came out a dark color, tho. Another few months in the carboy and we will see how it turns out. Arne.

To answer a few of the questions presented....The grapes came from the Pueblo, CO area but this is nicknamed "The Banana Belt" were many things will grow that don't typically grow in Colorado. We crushed the grapes and then allowed them to sit in the skins for the die to take affect for about two weeks. The wine is finished and bottled. It tastes fine. My Riesling and Gewurztraminer is better but I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to company. I like the suggestion of taking the grapes to the extension office. Thanks for all input.

Latest posts

Back