HELP -- I used too much Copper Sulfate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinedresser

Junior
Reaction score
I just realised I did something terrible. I hadnt made wine in a few years and started back up again recently. I went to rack my wine today (first racking) and found it to be skunky of H2S. Quickly, I looked up some old winemaking notes of mine from 2004 where I had used copper sulfate to clean up some merlot and read that i added "about 1 tspn to the wine" -- So I added 1 tspn of copper sulfate to each 5-gallon carboy. (eek!) Afterwards under closer inspection, I found my notes back in 2004 were for 30 gallons of merlot, not 5 gallons. I added way too much -- MY WINE IS POISONOUS !!!

I am rehydrating the proper amount of bentonite today and plan to mix it in tomorrow in hopes that I can remove the copper sulfate in a few days by racking it again. Will this have any possibility of working, or do I dump it???

Agree it is poison and why I never recommend using this stuff. there are other ways to get rid of that H2S problem besides using poison!!!!!!!! Throw it out please!!!!!!!

Don't be a fool, don't try to save it.

Dump it !!!

Luc

I bought some copper sulfate once for a science project. the stuff is blue poison. Dump the batch now. Bentonite isn't going to save this.

You could, however, put iron nails in the wine, and they'd come out copper plated. If you think that's safe to consume...

You could, however, put iron nails in the wine, and they'd come out copper plated.

Really? Thats pretty cool! :rdo

Lol, yep, that was the science project for which I bought copper sulfate. The copper will come out of solution and bond at the molecular level to the ferrous iron in the nails.

There is a gold based solution that you can use to gold plate metals.

I liked physical science and chemistry but I sucked at the heavy math parts of it. clearly though it led to my fascination with fermentation :)

Copper sulphate is what 'bravo' is made of, isn't it?

I use it as a spray, to prevent leaf curl on my stonefruit trees. It's organic.. but lethal in high doses.

Ain't no way I'm consuming it.. you're not adding anti-freeze as well?

Winks

Allie

:bt

Perhaps we have been a bit harsh..

our new member vinedresser..

didn't come back.

Allie

Some people just want their question answered then run away. I dont think we were hard but if we were we are sorry, we were just being adamant amount not drinking or giving to others to drink for safety reasons!

Using a lethal amount of chemicals is scary and deadly more than embarassing.

.Dead ..is not a good outcome.

this forum is about being able to just say what you did and no one wants anyone dead/sick or doing the same to their neighbours or family by gifting them dodgy alcohol.

The initial question on this thread is massively dangerous.

We have to reiterate.. this is a group online to share knowledge. We cannot be responsible if others refuse to research what they are doing, and verify their findings.

I refuse to be responsible for idiocy.. this is my personal 'out'.

Do not listen to any of my 'suggestions' or 'help' or anything else. Unless you are prepared to accept responsibility for your choices.

You are making alcohol.

make sure the alcohol you are making, is safe to consume for yourself..and those you gift it to/allow to drink it.

Allie

Hopefully he just got his question answered and left and not tested the stuff!!!!:sh

No, I didn't run away -- and no, I'm not dead, heh, heh!

Thanks for all your responses -- it is pretty much what I figured all along but thought someone might know of something that might work. Although the iron nails sounds intriguing, I don't think I'm going to try it.

I still have some nice Reisling that I haven't destroyed yet -- so all is not lost!

In my haste I made a mistake and appreciate learning from it. Sometimes that is a positive thing.

Glad you're back. And still alive! All of us have had bad experiences.

Good luck on your Reisling.

Fred

I too am very glad you didnt ignore our warnings but we really would like to see the before and aft pics of a nail in there! :)

Latest posts

Back