HELP I saw a fruit fly in my cellar!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diatomaceous earth is great for soft bodied bugs and slugs in the garden, use it all the time. I have a bag of it left over from a filter I used to use when I bred tropical fish.
it works great on flies and gnats,i keep fly strips, boric acid and peppermint extract... i raise a few dexter cattle, for pure grass fed beef, but i usually keep out blocks for black flies, they are passed and hatched in cattle manure , i got to get more, now what i butcher is put in the mule, horse and jack pasture for a year, so no nothing is in my beef, thursday i think my brother and i went and got our steer, the steer was so cool he must of froze to death lol, for better then 30 years we butchered our own meats, beef, pork, chickens, rabbits, but now all of us, either to old or disabled, and we have it done for us, although we still do our own deer, wild boar, turkey.
Dawg

I use one of those dispensers that sprays a pyrethrin insecticide every 15 minutes. Takes care of fruit flies, other flies and pests. My wine cellar shares space with cheesemaking and sausage making so fly control is crucial.

I use one of those dispensers that sprays a pyrethrin insecticide every 15 minutes. Takes care of fruit flies, other flies and pests. My wine cellar shares space with cheesemaking and sausage making so fly control is crucial.

Do you worry about having insecticide all over everything? Aside from that, it seems like a simple solution.

Hey all. A fruit fly went swimming in my 10 gallons of banana wine. I was giving it the second to last rack before bottling. Should I give it another 3 months to see if it turns to shit? 🤮🤮🤮😭😭

Last edited:
"Take a small glass dish with apple cider vinegar in it. Cover it with plastic wrap and cut slits in the top of the wrap. They will go in but will not get out. Eventually drowning in there own stupidity."

I do as Rembee does but I also add about 10 drops of dishwashing detergent to the vinegar. I have an old clear plastic container from the grocery store olive bar, punched a few holes in the top, added the liquids, covered it an let it work.

I presume with the responses provided, I shouldn't ball up and cry myself to sleep? I added a little more than half TSP sulphites when racking, then sprayed sulphite, sanitizing solution after scooping out bug...

Dawg, this banana was boiled and definitely doesn't have as much fruit as you'd use ( maybe 4lbs per gallon, with 5 lbs sultanas ) It's 6 months old now and had a little sediment, ( maybe 100ml,) which I disturbed, with about a gallon of wine left to rack, due to invader. ( It's being kept separate.) I was planning to bottle in the next month and was considering adding liquid oak ( was going to consult with you experts first) .

The wine is a clear, but depressingly brown colour, instead of light yellow. Is that typical? ( Other thing to note: I made a smaller batch of banana wine, with about 6lbs frozen fruit per gallon, that wasn't boiled, and it's VERY DIFFERENT from the big batch. The frozen banana wine is as thick as light oil and not clear in the least, even though it's about 6 months old too.)

I presume with the responses provided, I shouldn't ball up and cry myself to sleep? I added a little more than half TSP sulphites when racking, then sprayed sulphite, sanitizing solution after scooping out bug...

Dawg, this banana was boiled and definitely doesn't have as much fruit as you'd use ( maybe 4lbs per gallon, with 5 lbs sultanas ) It's 6 months old now and had a little sediment, ( maybe 100ml,) which I disturbed, with about a gallon of wine left to rack, due to invader. ( It's being kept separate.) I was planning to bottle in the next month and was considering adding liquid oak ( was going to consult with you experts first) .

The wine is a clear, but depressingly brown colour, instead of light yellow. Is that typical? ( Other thing to note: I made a smaller batch of banana wine, with about 6lbs frozen fruit per gallon, that wasn't boiled, and it's VERY DIFFERENT from the big batch. The frozen banana wine is as thick as light oil and not clear in the least, even though it's about 6 months old too.)
Any opinions about the colour of the wine?

mines in the carboys look very dark brown, but when i pull some out with wine thief, it is a golden yellow, as for pounds of fruit to gallon of liquid, this wine is for my brother he bought the bananas and dead leaf bottles, he'll get one carboy as is, the other of his carboy has3 cinnamon sticks and 20 grams all spice, now i get the third carboy, I'm waiting till his two are ready to bottle so i can see if i want cinnamon and all spice in mine, i have 4 carboys of apple cider, two just cider and two with 3 cinnamon sticks and 20 grams of all spice
Dawg

Latest posts

Back