Help for a beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSMcKelley

Junior
Reaction score
Hello!
I’ve been making wine for about eight years and I’ve been using fresh juice for the last few. The winds of turned out well I think but I’d like them to be better.
I just bought buckets of Tuscan Rosso, old Vine Zin, and Amarone.
I was given Yeast packets when I picked up the juice and that is what I started the three buckets with. I’d like to OK them. I also have chips ground from a bourbon barrel that I would like to use as well. So where do I go from here?

I try to throw as much junk in a red juice bucket as possible. Some oak chips or powder. Or the fermentation tannins FT Rouge/Booster rouge etc... every little bit helps. Oak in fermentation totally different than aging. Loading up the tannin in primary for structure, giving proper nutrients, adding lactic bacteria for MLF, some type of oak in aging, and bottling after a year in bulk. And any type of grapes I can get- fresh lug/fermented presser skins, or a “grape pack” purchased online in the primary. I think doing all that has made a huge difference from when I did nothing and bottled in 6-9 months.

Last edited:
Red wines from juice doesn't usually produce the full body you probably want. I have no idea if you can purchase grape skins -- try researching that.

A lot of kits used to add dried elderberries to build body. That is also an option.

It's probably too late this year, but before next year research yeast. The packets you're given with the juice may be satisfactory, or you may want to try something else. Do the research so you'll make an informed decision. I won't recommend asking for opinions ... 'cuz you'll get too many to process :) Go to the web sites of the yeast vendors and read the profiles.

You may also want to make multiple batches of the same juice, using different yeasts in each batch.

Here’s the only grape pack you can purchase online that I know of. I’ve used it a couple times. http://www.juicegrape.com/Mosti-Mondiale-All-Grape-Pack/

And you can find all the other things you’d want at morewine.com

I liked these little $5 additive packs meant for frozen must. Perfect for a juice bucket. Aside from the lallzyme enzyme. But if you also add some sort of grape to it then you can use that too. https://morewinemaking.com/products/additive-pack-brehm-frozen-fruit-reds.html

D145B78B-C9EE-47A9-B6B6-81073FAD2359.jpeg Thank you all for your input!
I will do more research especially in the area of yeast selection.
I am also thinking of using Oak chips from Jack Daniels bourbon barrels. Any thoughts there?

View attachment 52078 Thank you all for your input!
I will do more research especially in the area of yeast selection.
I am also thinking of using Oak chips from Jack Daniels bourbon barrels. Any thoughts there?
I would not use the oak chips meant for grilling. You can certainly do it, but I would only do it as an experiment and only on a small quantity; and I would not have high hopes for it to make anything better. There are whiskey barrel oak products out there specifically sold for wines. With that said, I am by no means an expert on whiskey barrels (I don't like that flavor at all in my wines), so there might be more accurate info from others.

Personally, I wouldn't use oak chips that are sold for using in a smoker, I would stick with oak that is sold specifically for wine making. But that's just my opinion - I'm very careful of what I put in my wine after the time and money I have put into it! You might be ok, maybe someone else has tried it.

It's my understanding that much of the flavor enhancements that come from oak adjuncts is derived from the toasting of the oak. Thus, the untoasted Jack Daniels chips probably won't impart much flavor . . . likely more of a woodiness. I'd go with cubes or spirals designated for wine.

Thanks again.
I did call a Jack Daniels rep and asked how the chips were processed. If I use them, I can do so with relative confidence.
I’ve had several bourbon barrel wines and enjoyed them all. I agree that they should be used in small amounts to determine how they will affect the wine. Thanks again for your help.

It's a worthwhile experiment, although as others said, test on a small batch in case things turn out less than optimal. Also, once you oak a wine, removing the oak from the wine has equal success to removing flour from a cake. ;-)

Test the wine frequently and when you think it's approaching the oak level you want, remove the oak. If it turns out to be not enough, you can add more later.

It's a worthwhile experiment, although as others said, test on a small batch in case things turn out less than optimal. Also, once you oak a wine, removing the oak from the wine has equal success to removing flour from a cake. ;-)

Test the wine frequently and when you think it's approaching the oak level you want, remove the oak. If it turns out to be not enough, you can add more later.

Back