Help deciding please?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demoncat

Junior
Reaction score
I am now trying to figure out what to make first. I think that a kit is the way to go for the moment (at least until I can get a few more carboys that aren't filled with beer :D) so I am wondering if y'all might have some suggestions as to what to start with?

The hubs likes a "peas porter", while I tend to prefer a Riesling, or a white zin, and more recently, chardonnay.

There is a fairly good brew supply store that also carries kits that we visit to stock up, but which kit is best? Let me rephrase that, which brand would y'all recommend for a first timer?

Thanks!
Demoncat

I think all white wine kits are very good although I dont feel the same with red wine kits. I say get 1 for each of you! What beers do you have going?

I think all white wine kits are very good although I dont feel the same with red wine kits. I say get 1 for each of you! What beers do you have going?

I think since this is going to be "my endeavor" that I'll go with something that *I* like :) Any particular "brand" that you would recommend?

As for beers, we have a Trout River IPA bottled and fairly drinkable, but still young (only bottled it 3 weeks ago), there is the Arrogant Bastard clone that we bottled last week I think? So that is still waiting.... finally we have a Beamish Stout clone that is in the primary ready to rack to the secondary this weekend. The next batch is going to be a Two-Hearted Ale clone using all grain. (yeah, that should be fun, first attempt at all grain and all.... :))

DC

I like RJS kits and thats what I use. All Grain aint that hard but it is a longer day. Are you set up to do all grain now?

you make beer too wade?
next thing ya know we'll find out he built a still

sorry to jump off topic there just felt like being a smarta#@% for a minute lol

I think since this is going to be "my endeavor" that I'll go with something that *I* like :) Any particular "brand" that you would recommend?

As for beers, we have a Trout River IPA bottled and fairly drinkable, but still young (only bottled it 3 weeks ago), there is the Arrogant Bastard clone that we bottled last week I think? So that is still waiting.... finally we have a Beamish Stout clone that is in the primary ready to rack to the secondary this weekend. The next batch is going to be a Two-Hearted Ale clone using all grain. (yeah, that should be fun, first attempt at all grain and all.... :))

DC

Out of interest.. when you say you are making a clone.. is it a kit type beer.. or are you making it from scratch with a recipe?

Allie

you make beer too wade?
next thing ya know we'll find out he built a still

sorry to jump off topic there just felt like being a smarta#@% for a minute lol

Shh!
You never know. Remember its illegal here in the States.

To the original poster, welcome aboard. What brand of kits does your local brew shop carry? That will help offer comments on what to recommend. What is your favorite style of wine?

To the original poster, welcome aboard. What brand of kits does your local brew shop carry? That will help offer comments on what to recommend. What is your favorite style of wine?

Thank you smurfe! Generally speaking, I tend to lean towards a riesling or white zin. However, chardonnay has been growing on me recently.

I went with a piesporter. Seemed easy for a starting kit. The brewing supply store gave me a sample of a blueberry pinot that was really good and I want to make that one too! Unfortunately however, I only have one primary fermentor at the moment, so I think I'm going to need at least one more and another secondary carboy.

So, my evening consisted of:
1) Making my very first batch of wine (yay me!)
2) Racking stout to the secondary
3) Making another batch of Trout River IPA
4) climb into bed at 0-dark thirty:d

Also, on another note, the directions in the wine kit said the SG would vary between 1.008 - 1.100 depending on the type of wine. It didn't give a SG for this particular wine. Is that normal? The SG I ended up with was 1.080 so hopefully it will be ok?

DC

Out of interest.. when you say you are making a clone.. is it a kit type beer.. or are you making it from scratch with a recipe?

Allie

So far, we've made everything from scratch using recipes. Last night was (according to the SU) the last using of the canned extracts, so we should be set up to go all grain now.

DC

Back