HELP!! can I restart fermentation on my wine intentionally

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterroz

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of white grape wine that seems very bitter and not very strong. It's still under airlock and it's about a month old. Can I add new yeast and more sugar to hopefully increase the alcohol volume? I did not get a SG reading and initially and I hydrometer simply reads "finished wine"

yes you can restart as long as the alcohol isnt to high, how much sugar did you add at first? If all goes well you may not even have to add new yeast the old may take off again when more sugar is introduced.

If you just finished the wine, it is naturally going to be bitter (or tart). It is still green (unripened)... ever eaten unripened fruit before?

If the chardonnay tasted sweet before you started, you likely have enough ABV, so I wouldn't bother it. Besides, the wine being so young, you wouldn't be able to judge the alcohol, anyway.

I would leave it along and get myself a 3-scale "real" hydrometer for the next batch. Sounds to me like you are about to ruin a batch of wine.

I didn't any sugar at all at any point. I also racked the wine once into 3 separate gallon carbouys. Are vinometers affective? I'm about to have really bad salad dressing. LOL

If you just fermented grape juice you probably are low on ABV. 7 or 8 % maybe. You could add up to a pound of sugar per gallon and re ferment your batch. There is probably enough yeast alive to start again. You may want to add a little yeast nutrient and energizer.

Thanks. Im gonna try and add the sugar. If I add the sugar and yeast nutrient but nothing activates should I consider adding new yeast after a few days? And should record a hydrometer reading or is too late?

yeah its a bit late now for a reading due to the fact we dont know the exact sugar content of the juice used, so like andy said your probably sitting around 7-8%, you may be able to take care of some of the tartness later with cold stabilization if necessary, give it all time though.

once you add more sugar get a hydrometer reading then so you know where you are sitting on your second start, so you can verify if you have restart on fermentation in case you dont see any signs sometimes they can go quietly, or if no start after a couple of days pitch new yeast.

I'm lost here I think. Unless the posts were edited, I see no mention as to the beginning other than white wine. Nowhere am I seeing any indication of starting sugar content or specific gravity, how much juice or water added, nothing. Fill in a few blanks and we can get a better recommendation. There just is not enough information to guess 7 or 8 percent alcohol. It could be anything as it sits now.You certainly can get a lot higher alcohol than that from pure grape juice- average would be 11- 13% ABV from most wine grapes.

First- what type of juice0 from grapes, concentrate or 100% juice from?
Second- How much juice and then how much water added to the juice?
Third-What yeast was used?

Answer these and we can give some good advice.

I used fresh grapes. 3 gallon recipe required pot to be filled 51% full of fruit and then add enough water to fill the pot up to 75% full. Pretty sure it may have been 8 lbs of grapes for the (3 gallon recipe) and the rest was water. The grapes were mashed in the water. No sugar was added at any point. I placed the must in the primary and forgot to get a reading with the hydrometer. I used one packet of champaign yeast. Is it possible for the grape skins to release enough sugars for the yeast or not even close? Ton of mistakes but I'm learning.

I would think 8 lbs of grapes for 3 gallon would be way weak. I would have used about 30 lbs for a 3 gallon batch. you could add some frozen concentrate and a little sugar and maybe bring it around. hope it turns out for you.

If there are still active yeast in there it will take back off if I was doing it I would add just a little of the same yeast I started with. hope this helps.

Back