Help!! Are my vines done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Junior
Reaction score
So I am a backyard rookie grape grower. I ordered 4 grape plants and they arrived a number of weeks ago. In the directions it said if not planting right away open bags. Grape plants were in storage room with no light, but vines started to grow over a number of weeks. Decided to plant them outside and after two days outside the new vine growth was dying and today after looking pretty much dead. So are my plants done for this year? Could I still get growth? Should I cut off dead vines? Are my plants still good?

Those shoots have been shocked by the sun. Had the same happen this spring. Give it time, some will rebound or new shoots will emerge.
RT
I also suggest patience. Last year I had no choice but to attempt a transplant of three 2-year-old vines in ridiculous hot weather. I figured there was no chance it would take, and sure enough over the next week they put on a dramatic death scene. I left them alone and made a mental note to dig them out in the fall. But a few weeks later, during mid-August heat no less, they suddenly started throwing out brand new shoots. This year they are fine.

Latest posts

Back