Help! adding oak to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
So I'm making some blackberry wine, its been fermenting for the last 2 months using a port wine yeast.
Today I've just done the second racking and stopped the fermentation with metabisulphite and did some de-gassing. It still tastes a bit bitter and raw.

I'd like to add some oak chips at some point how should I do this and for how long?
Could I use a plastic food bag with tiny holes in, full it with oak chips and suspend it inside the carboy so the flavours come out of the bag?

How long should I keep the oak in the wine as I don't want to over oak it?

Fermenting for 2 Months???:sh. 2nd racking??? Stabilize, wait a couple of days, add oak, oh wait ,,,, don't know how much??? How much wine we talkin'? Nix the plastic bag. Just put the chips in there and wait a month then rack over to carboy with airlock. Chips will remain in your other carboy to be rinsed out. G'luck!

Nods to Floandgary, 2 months fermenting!?!??!

Anyhow, I'm a noob to winemaking, but I would recommend oaking slowly with frequent taste tasting. You can always add more oak or let it sit on the oak longer. I know of no way to removing oak an over-oaked wine.

The good news is there are plenty of people here with experience who can recommend a good amount of oak (or no oak) for your blackberry wine.

Last edited:
Fermenting for 2 Months???:sh. 2nd racking??? Stabilize, wait a couple of days, add oak, oh wait ,,,, don't know how much??? How much wine we talkin'? Nix the plastic bag. Just put the chips in there and wait a month then rack over to carboy with airlock. Chips will remain in your other carboy to be rinsed out. G'luck!

1 and a half gallons. One carboy is full the other half full

also was 7 days in primary fermentation bucket and the last 7 weeks in carboy.

Last edited:
Be careful with oak chips. I over-oaked once using chips. Cubes are more controllable.

1 and a half gallons. One carboy is full the other half full

also was 7 days in primary fermentation bucket and the last 7 weeks in carboy.

I would suggest getting a half gallon jug. Sounds like theres some unwanted headspace in ur second carboy...

Check on oak sticks and spirals too. You can suspend them in your wine with fishing line.

Back